Chapter 29: The Festival Begins

Midnight's POV

This was it, the day had finally arrived. The day that we've been wait...at least a volume and a half for, The Vytal Festival. A Festival held in celebration of the unity between the 4 countries of Remnant. Events included food, games, and of course The Vytal Festival Tournament. Everyone loves a good fight between skilled opponents, and that's exactly what this was, an opportunity for students to compete with students from other academies in battle. Not only that, but it would be broadcasted to everyone in Remnant.

We had already watched the battles of Team RWBY and Team JNPR, and now it was our turn. Time for the spotlight to shine on Team MAGE. If I wanted our team to win I would have to use everything I've learn during my time with Umbra and at Beacon. For the time being, I left Malo with Ruby. He was pretty opposed to the idea of leaving my side, but conceded once Ruby began patting his head.

We all walked out onto the main field where professor Port and Dr. Oobleck introduced us, as well as our opponents through the loud speakers.

Port: if you ask me that last match is gonna be hard to top!

Oobleck: I wouldn't start saying that just yet, because from what I've seen, this next team has shown great promise not only in the field of combat, but in teamwork as well.

Port: this next battle is between Beacon academy's own Team MAGE against Atlas's Team RCKT!

Both of our teams walked to the center of the field as the crowd in the stands cheered.

Galands: would ya listen to that, the roar of people cheering our names.

Alpha: stay focused Galand, we're up against students from Atlas. We have no idea what they might be capable of. We gotta take this seriously.

Midnight: he's right, those people in the stands expect us to help and protect them. We need to show them that we can do just that.

We got to the center of the arena and locked eyes with the other team. Their team leader, Ranger, spoke.

Ranger: I say we make this a fair fight, no cheating and no cheap tricks

I smiled.

Midnight: I agree.

Then his partner, Cherry, spoke.

Cherry: just know, I'm not gonna be holding back.

Alpha nodded.

Alpha: neither will I.

The third member of their team, Keltic, chimed in.

Keltic: oh, this is gonna be fun!

Galand: I sure hope so!

Keltic's little bother, Tristan, was just keeping his head down, hiding his face from the cameras.

Meanwhile Ethan was doing the same.

For a moment I looked between our 2 teams.

Midnight: wait a minute....

Before I could even finish my thought, the battle terrain was already being decided. Team RCKT's side soon turned into a cascade of sand and rocks while our side erupted with lava and fire. I took this time to look over at the rest of my team and noticed Alpha seemed to be a bit tense.

Midnight: something wrong, Alpha?

Alpha: I-I'm not a fan of fire.

Oobleck: 3! 2! 1! BEGIN!

Both of our teams readied our weapons.

Midnight: SCATTER!

I activated Umbra's weird extending limbs ability before wrapping my arms around a large boulder on the enemy side and launching over to it. Alpha quickly sprinted over to a large patch of sand with Cherry on his tail. Meanwhile, Galand and Ethan decided to stay on our side and fight there as Keltic and Tristan followed after them.