Chapter 31: Sharpened Claws and Fangs

Midnight's POV

After an unexpected visit from my sister, my team kinda just went back to our usual routine. Eat, sleep, repeat. With the first day of the Vytal Tournament over up next was the duo battles. Due to a mostly collective choice, myself and Alpha would be the ones participating in this round with Umbra taking the wheel with this particular fight.

As we arrived outside the arena Team RWBY approached us with a familiar head of blackish gray hair.

Qrow: long time no see, kid.

Midnight: nice to see you, Qrow?

Yang decided to chime in.

Yang: we just got done with duo fight?

Alpha: how'd it go?

Blake: why don't you ask Weiss?

The 4 of us looked over as saw Weiss rubbing black soot off of her face with a towel.

Midnight: huh...

Yang: yeaaah, but we still managed to come out on top. You guys ready for your turn.

Midnight: well...not entirely.

Umbra: speak for yourself, I'm getting more antsy the longer I have to wait.

Yang just smiled and put her arm around my shoulder.

Yang: don't you worry your pretty little head, Nightlight, you 2 are gonna do great.

After Yang removed her arm from my shoulder I was then immediately flanked and knocked to the ground my and unseen entity.

???: FINALLY FOUND YOU!

I looked up and saw Selene standing over me.

Midnight: DID YOU HAVE TO HIPCHECK ME?!

Selene: sorry, I was going for a glomp, but I lost my balance.

She helped me up before wrapping her arms around me for a proper hug.

Selene: OH, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU FIGHT, I WAS UP ALL NIGHT FROM EXCITEMENT SO I HAD TO DOUBLE DOWN ON MY MORNING COFFEE!

Midnight: that explains a lot.

She released me from her grip allowing me to regain my balance from having the wild knocked out of me.

Alpha: ahem...

I looked over to Alpha and he began tapping his wrist, indicating that it was time to go.

Midnight: right...

I reached behind me and pulled Malo from out of my hoodie.

Selene: um...what is that?

Midnight: long story. Galand, you explain it.

I handed Malo off to Ruby before walking away with Alpha.

Selene: good luck, you guys!

Timeskip brought to you by chibi Alpha sharpening his sword in...preparation

Umbra: alright, let's do this.

Just before entering the arena for our battle we met in the middle of the exit tunnel leading in. Before we were due to enter, I relaxed myself and surrendered control to Umbra. Once the process was completed, Umbra lifted my arms above my head and stretched.

Midnight: ahhhh, this is gonna be fun. How about this, you provide cover for me while I sneak up behind them and knock them out of the ring, sound good?

Alpha: oh, would you just come off it already?!

Umbra turned to Alpha, a bit puzzled by his sudden outburst.

Midnight: excuse me, Wolf Boy, I don't think I heard you quite right, would you mind repeating that?

Alpha: you heard me!

Alpha's eyes were narrowed as he stared at me and Umbra. He let out an audible snarl before marching over and poking Umbra in the chest.

Alpha: you and I both know that isn't some kind of "attack mode" like you told Galand. I'm not falling for any of your lies, I know what you really are...demon.

Umbra looked at Alpha with wide eyes before dawning a condescending stare and smirk. Umbra soon began to slowly clap which only served to enrage Alpha even more.

Midnight: well well, it seems you've found me out a lot sooner than I thought you would. I knew you were a perspective one, but I'm have to say, I'm impressed. So what are you gonna do now, are you gonna tell the others about me, blackmail me, OH, or are you just gonna outright kill me because that would be SO adorable to watch?

Midnight: U-Umbra...I don't think it's a good idea to piss him off even more!

Faster than I could blink, Alpha grabbed his sword off of his back places the edge against my throat.

Alpha: shut it!

Midnight: oh, it looks like the big, bad wolf sharpened his claws...and his fangs.

Umbra didn't dare to loose his patronizing grin as Alpha's eyes filled more and more with malice.

Alpha: give me one good reason why I shouldn't separate your head from your neck right here and now!

Midnight: because it's not my head, or my neck.

Alpha seem confused by Umbra's statement, he questioned him further.

Alpha: what do you mean?!

Midnight: you see, kid...this isn't my body, it's your leader's . While I've been here for awhile, it was only at the start of Beacon that me and your timid leader made a deal with one another. He would act as my vessel, and in exchange I would teach him everything there is to know about the power of a shadow demon.

Alpha: I-I...WHAT?!

Umbra dismissed Alpha's confusion.

Midnight: you wanna know what I've noticed about you, Wolf Boy? You may act calm and collected, but deep down you have no idea what you're doing, you just prefer that people believe you have everything under control and that their isn't an issue you can't solve. You said you're "not falling for my lies", but I hate to break it to ya, nether am I.

Alpha's face contorted as if not knowing what emotions to express as Umbra broke him down piece by piece.

Midnight: If you think you can talk down to me, you're dead wrong, Midnight's my vessel and I'm his teacher, and guess what, I'm not going anywhere any time soon, so I'd say man up and stop acting all high and mighty before someone else decides to actually tell you something you don't wanna hear.

Just then, the speakers blared throughout the stadium.

Port: lady's and gentlemen, it's time for our next round of the duo bracket!

Midnight: looks like it's time to go.

Alpha pulled his sword away from my throat and placed it in its rightful spot on his back. Before walking away, Alpha put a finger in my face...

Alpha: this isn't over, you step out of line even once...you're dead.

Umbra just smiled as the 3 of us walked out into the arena.