Chapter 3: The First Step

Midnight's POV

I was in the locker room, retrieving my Silent Sparrows. I shut my locker and put my weapons on my hands. I activated the blades and the steel plating, they seemed to be in working order. I began to mentally prepare myself for what was to come.

???: Hey, Midnight!

I turned and saw Galand and Ethan walking over to me. They had their weapons with them. Galand had a massive warhammer on his back while Ethan had a small dagger attached to his hip, along with various lightning dust cartridges lining his belt.

Midnight: hey.

Galand: this is gonna be awesome!

I noticed Ethan lacking the enthusiasm that Galand had. Judging from his behavior the night before, he was very self-conscious about how he might preform during his time at Beacon.

Ethan: we're here to become huntsman, not to have fun.

Galand: come on, stop being such a killjoy.

Galand turned to his left and let out a whistle of interest.

Galand: *whistle* would you look at the blonde over there?

I followed his gaze and noticed he was talking about Yang as she played with her hair while talking to Ruby.

Midnight: oh, that's Yang. She's a childhood friend of mine.

Galand's eyes widened as he looked at me in surprise. He held his hands up in defense.

Galand: oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you two were a thing.

I blushed.

Midnight: w-we're not. We're just friends.

Galand: oh, ok. Incase you're interested in her, I won't make any moves.

I blushed even more. I was saved from this situation when Ms. Goodwitch came over the intercom.

Glynda: would all first year students report to Beacon cliff for initiation? Again, all first year students report to Beacon cliff immediately.

Midnight: oh thank god. I'll see you guys later.

Galand: later.

Timeskip brought to you by chibi Midnight tightening his gloves

I stood at Beacon cliff, over looking the Emerald Forest. Ozpin spoke.

Ozpin: for years you have trained to become warriors, and today your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest.

Glynda: now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors of the assignment of teams. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be give team mates...today.

Ozpin: these teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone whom you can work well. That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next 4 years. After you've partnered up make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will need opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path...or you will die. You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose 1 and return to the top of the cliff. You will guard that item as well as your standing and grade you appropriately. Now...take your positions.

I activated the steel plating on my Silent Sparrows and readied myself. I planted my feet firmly on the launchpad I was standing on.

Yang: good luck, Nightlight.

I smiled and nodded, wishing her the same.

Her pad launched her into the air and I was next. I breathed in deeper then I ever had before and prepared to be flying through then sky.

Midnight: let's do this.

I launched and watched as I saw the forest zooming by below me.

I was flying through air. Apparently we were supposed to come up with our own landing strategies.

I grabbed onto the branch of a tree and put my agility to good use. I flipped from branch to branch until I reached the forest floor, sticking the landing. I clicked my fingers and called out Viper and Mamba.

Midnight: keep an eye out for any grimm.

They both hissed, and proceeded to look around as they began following my command. We made our way North through the Emerald Forest. About 5 minutes later, Mamba let out a vile hiss, looking towards a dense mess of trees. Me and Viper looked and saw at least 20 beowolves. They all slowly made their way towards us. I looked at the 2 shadow serpents and spoke.

Midnight: you know what to do.

They both immediately bolted towards the pack of beowolves. Viper grabbed 1 in his jaws and slammed it into the ground. Mamba coiled around 3 of them and crush them with a noticeable crunch. They repeated this process with a few more when 2 beowolves managed to get passed them and charged at me.

1 jumped at me and I swatted it out of the air. I pulled back my steel covered fist and punched it right in the head, shattering it's skull. The other tried to attack me from behind before I activated my blades and swung at it, taking it's head clean off.

Viper and Mamba finished dealing with the other beowolves.

Midnight: ok, you 2. You deserve a bit of a break.

They returned into my shadow and I took a moment to breath, that is until I began to hear growling from behind me. I turned and saw 2 ursa

Midnight: oh, you've gotta be kidding me.

With both blades activated, I ran towards them and slashed at 1 of their eyes. It roared and hit me with 1 of it's paws, knocking me into a tree.

In all honesty, I'm better at fighting people than grimm so I usually leave them to Viper and Mamba. Not only that, but after making them return into my shadow, I can't call them out for the next 15 minutes.

I tried to get back up, but the ursa pinned me down with 1 of it's paws. It barred it's teeth and I thought it was the end for me. That is until I heard a strange voice.

???: Ok, I can't watch this anymore. Let a real warrior show you how it's done, kid.

I flinched when I heard it.

Midnight: what the?!

Black spirals appeared on my forearms. My hands grabbed the ursa's upper and lower jaw, stopping it from sinking it's teeth into my flesh. It was weird, I wasn't in control of my movements, and I'm not talking about instinct or something like that, I mean I wasn't in control of my body. Just then I spoke words that weren't my own.

Midnight: do you really think you can take me down? Ha, pathetic.

With 1 swift movement of my hand, I broke it's jaw. I then swung my blades and cut it's head off. I got to my feet and the other one started charging at me. I move slightly to the side and dodged it before wrapping my arms around it's head and twisting. There was a loud crack as I broke the ursa's neck.

I stood up straight and whatever was controlling my body spoke to me.

Midnight: you'll have to handle yourself from here, kid. I'll talk to you later.

The spirals disappeared and I regained control. I caught my breath and began trying to make sense of what just happened.

Midnight: what was that?!