Chapter 22: Advice

Midnight's POV

Umbra: you know, the dance is tomorrow night. From what I've noticed, you still haven't made the decision of wether you're going or not.

I was currently outside, trying to get so exercise in on the side, which was kinda difficult with Umbra pushing me to make a decision.

Midnight: would you quit nagging me already? Galand said that thinking about it was good enough. Besides, it was your idea to come out here and train.

Umbra: your arms and legs are too scraggly, what kind of warrior takes pride in having almost no muscle mass.

Midnight: well, it's kind of hard to gain muscle mass when you've got a voice in your head lecturing you all the time. Ya know, you're trying to make me have more pride in myself, but it doesn't help when you call me "weak" or "scraggly", would it at least kill you to call me by name, because "kid" is pretty demeaning if you ask me?

Umbra: pride demons only call people by their given names as a sign of respect, you...you've got a long way to go if you what that.

I spoke sarcastically

Midnight: oh, please forgive for my insolence, Mighty Umbra. I assure you, I'll work tirelessly to gain your approval.

Umbra: hey, watch the sarcasm.

Midnight: anyway, I've already made my decision, I'm just gonna stay in the dorm the whole night and let my team have their fun.

Umbra: seriously?! ...you're a real piece of work, ya know that?

Midnight: why are you so adamant about making me go to this thing, why do you care, it's not like skipping out on it will end in my untimely demise.

Umbra: kid, you've been working yourself to the bone, wether it be with classes or with helping team RWBY on their hunt for that crime boss. Every warrior need a break.

Midnight: well, I'm perfectly content with using my "break" to relax in my dorm room. Speaking of breaks.

I got up before grabbing my water bottle and taking a seat on a nearby bench. I took a sip from my bottle when I heard someone say me name.

???: oh hello, Midnight.

I looked up and saw Pyrrha standing there with Jaune close behind.

Midnight: hey, what're you 2 doing here?

Pyrrha: me and Jaune just got done training for the day.

I looked over and saw Jaune sweating like a greased pig.

Midnight: I can tell.

Pyrrha: anyway, we've got to get back to our dorm.

Jaune: uh, you go ahead, I'll catch up.

Pyrrha: alright then, goodbye for now, Midnight.

Midnight: see ya.

Pyrrha walked away, leaving Jaune with me. He took a seat, still exhausted from whatever training Pyrrha had him doing.

Jaune: that girl is gonna kill me.

Midnight: yeah, I know how you feel.

He then looked down at the sidewalk.

Midnight: ...something wrong.

Jaune: no it's just...I've been trying to ask Weiss to the dance, but...she keeps turning me down.

Midnight: did you do the guitar thi-

Jaune: YES...I did the guitar thing.

Midnight: huh...

Jaune then sat up.

Jaune: do you...have any advice?

I was a little stunned by his question, someone asking ME of all people for advice on asking someone out.

Midnight: and what makes you think I'd know anything about that sort of thing?

Jaune: I don't know, it's just...whenever I see you with your team, you just seem so wise and you can motivate them to do anything.

I kind of smiled at his statement.

Midnight: well...she already turned you down...I'd say just leave it at that.

He looked over at me.

Midnight: listen, don't think of it as a night where you can just dance with girls and drink fruit punch. Instead, think of it as a night for you to relax and have fun with your team. You want some advice? Then just go, drink some punch, dance a bit, and have fun. You don't have to make it about a girl, just enjoy the night, simple as that.

Jaune: ha...sure...I'll do that.

He got up from the bench and smiled at me.

Jaune: thanks, Midnight. You're a real cool guy.

Midnight: yeah yeah, don't mention it.

Jaune walked off, leaving me on the bench.

Umbra: ha...

Midnight: what?

Umbra: you should take your own advice.

Midnight: oh, shut up!