Chapter 12: Cat's Out Of The Bag

Midnight's POV

Me and Alpha were walking around Vale City looking for Blake. After Yang told us what Weiss did Alpha was pissed. Me and the rest of team MAGE decided to split up to look for her, but since team RWBY only had 3 people at the moment they stayed together. Team MAGE split into 2 groups. Galand and Ethan went off in one direction and me and Alpha went off in the other.

As we were walking down the street I looked over to see Alpha looking down with his hands in his pockets as he walked. I decided to ask him about finding Blake.

Midnight: so...did you find her scent yet.

Alpha: nope.

He didn't even look up when he said that.

Umbra: that's a lie, he's not even trying.

Midnight: yeah, I know. What should I do?

Umbra: well, it's obvious that he's upset about something. Be a leader and try to get the reason out of him. Ask him what's wrong, ya know?

Midnight: since when did you actually care about my teammates?

Umbra: oh, I don't. It's just with his interest in my kind, I've taken a liking to him. I'm curious about him too.

Midnight: so you care about me and Alpha, but not Galand and Ethan?

Umbra: yes, now be a leader and comfort your teammate in his time of need.

I looked at Alpha and took a deep breath before speaking.

Midnight: alright, what's wrong?

His eyes shifted to look at me.

Alpha: what?

Midnight: it's obvious you're upset about something. What is it?

Alpha: I don't know what you're talking about?

Umbra: he's playing dumb, don't fall for it.

Midnight: Alpha, I'm your partner, we're on the same team. If there's something bothering you then you can tell me.

He looked down again and sighed.

Midnight: is it about what happened with Weiss?

Suddenly, he stopped walking and put his back against the wall of a building before sitting down.

Alpha: *sigh* you wanna know why I hate people who treat faunuses like crap?

Midnight: o-of course.

Alpha: ...when I was a kid I wasn't treated the best in my town. Me and my family were the only faunuses in the place, so you can imagine how the other residents reacted when we moved in. One day when I was outside I heard my little sister scream. I ran over with my dad's hunting knife and found her behind another building. There were 3 guys with various weapons standing in front of my sister. I saw the tears in her eyes as she held her favorite stuffed bunny close to her. Those guys were gonna kill her...just because she was a faunus.

I saw Alpha begin to clench his fists.

Alpha: I ran over to protect my sister and slashed at the guy closest to her with my knife. I managed to take his eye out and as he was screaming in pain I grabbed my sister and ran back home...Later that night we were all woken up by the smell of smoke. Those bastards set our house on fire while we were asleep. Me and my family left out the back door and ran through the woods until we got to the city.

I saw tears start to well up in his eyes.

Midnight: man...I'm so sorry you had to go through that.