Chapter 32: Out of Control

Yang's POV

Me and the others just sat down as Midnight and Alpha, as well as the opposing team, walked out into the open arena, the crowd cheered as Professor Port's voice came over the speakers.

Port: this next battle will truly be an exciting spectacle. It's Beacon's own Midnight Nox and Alpha Nightail of Team Mage going up against Haven's Vash Hallwell and Opal Brighteye of Team VNOM!

As I looked down I noticed Alpha looking more...angry than usual. I mean, he always had a sort of resting bitch face, but this time it just seemed different. Suddenly, Selene spoke.

Selene: hey, what's going on with Midnight?

I looked down and saw Midnight with those same black markings and dark eyes from our sparing match awhile back.

Galand: oh, that's his attack mode, he uses it whenever he needs to get serious.

Selene: weird, I've never seen him use anything like that.

Ethan: never?

Selene: nope, his semblance has alway been the ability to create 2 shadow snakes, nothing like this.

Ruby: OOOOO, EVERYBODY SHUT UP, THEY'RE ABOUT TO START!

Midnight's POV

As the battlefield was being selected, I took the time to analyze our opponents. Vash looked to be about Galand's height with black hair and brown eyes. Plastered on his face was a cocky smile that just screamed "EASY". Opal was on the shorter side with braided hair and an opal hair clip keeping it all together.

Vash: this is gonna be a piece of cake, but don't think I'm not gonna have fun knocking you to the ground.

Opal: Vash, can you please cooling with that arrogant attitude of yours?

Vash: what, I'm just telling the truth, nothing wrong with that.

Midnight: bold words for someone about to be crying in a ball on the edge of the arena.

Vash: HA, we'll see about that!

With the battlefield chosen, a forest in 1 half and an open field in the other, we all prepared our weapons. Umbra grabbed his axe from out of my shadow and gave Vash a menacing grin.

However, just as the battle was about to start, Vash's appearance suddenly changed. Standing in Vash's place was now a shorter person with bright blue hair, pale skin, 1 blue eye, and an eye patch covering his right eye, as well as horns coming out the top of his head and pointing backwards. I could feel Umbra's cocky expression disappear as what was once arrogance quickly turned to surprise before immediately shifting to a feeling of pure rage and bloodlust.

Midnight: you bastard...

Midnight: uh, umbra?

Yang's POV

Oobleck: 3! 2! 1! BEGIN!

Immediately upon starting the battle, Midnight extended his arm and grabbed Vash by the ankle before turning around and slamming him into the ground on the other side of the arena, creating a crater underneath him. After that, with his hand still wrapped around his ankle, Midnight spun around, swinging Vash through a couple of trees. The crowd gasped and hissed as a few spectators yelled out to Midnight that "that was a cheap move".

Just then, Midnight sunk into his shadow and slithered over to Vash laying on his stomach in pain. As Vash was trying to get up, Midnight reached a hand out from his shadow, grabbed the back of his head and began repeatedly slamming his face into the ground. I looked over to Midnight's team and his sister, there eyes were locked on the battlefield with confused stares