Chapter 28: A New Roommate

Midnight's POV

After dealing with Roman Torchwick and a MASSIVE hoard of grimm, everyone to their time to do their own thing. Wether that be taking a breather after saving Vale city, or training for the Vytal Festival Tournament.

As me us, me and my team decide to just take it easy for a few day until the tournament was set to begin. I decided to spend it getting to know the newest member of our team, the little mothja we found in quadrant 5, Malo.

After getting back to our dorm, Malo immediately made himself at home by hopping up onto my bed and curling up on my pillow. Galand suggested getting him a dog bed or something, but he seemed fine with where he was.

In just a few day Malo really grew attached to me, to the point where he'd get upset when I wasn't around. So we thought it best that he tag along wherever we went. Whenever we'd leave the dorm, Malo would be perched on my shoulder like some kind of furry bird.

Anyway, we were just in our dorm, doing our own things. I was on my sitting in front of Malo with a bowl of orange slices next to me.

Midnight: alright...

I made a gun with my hand and pointed it at Malo.

Midnight: stick em up.

Malo threw up his arms. I smiled and softly clapped my hands

Midnight: good job!

I took one of the orange slices from the bowl and presented it to Malo. He took it and shoved it in his mouth.

Galand: man, it only took you 3 tries to teach him that one.

Midnight: well, he learns quick.

I picked up another orange slice.

Midnight: ok, handstand.

Malo did a half cartwheel and stood on his hands with perfect balance.

Midnight: perfect!

I handed him his reward before turning back to Galand.

Midnight: how's your cheek doing by the way?

Galand turned his head, showing off 3 scratch scars on his right cheek.

Galand: you tell me.

Midnight: looks like it healed up pretty good.

Galand: ha, so does it make me look tough?

Alpha: it looks like you had a bad encounter with an alley cat.

Galand just glared at Alpha as he was busy organizing his book shelf.

Alpha: what, we were all thinking it.

Yeah, when we first found Malo, he gave Galand a pretty nasty scratch on his cheek. Luckily his aura healed it up just fine.

I continued to teach Malo tricks when Umbra chimed it.

Umbra: to think one of the Netherworld's most devastating units would be reduced to a household pet.

Midnight: I'd rather call him a new friend than a pet.

Umbra: either way, entire swarms of these creatures would reduce miles of crops and livestock to nothing but bare branches and bones in as little as a single afternoon. Now here's one of them...doing tricks for orange slices.

Midnight: well, he seems happy with it, who're you to say that's wrong?

Umbra: I'm not, it's just that it seems really ridiculous to me.

Midnight: you analyze everything I do, I find that ridiculous.

Umbra: I do not!

Midnight: really, when I was brushing my teeth this morning, you made sure I cleaned every tooth until my gums bled.

Umbra: dental hygiene is important.

Midnight: yeah yeah...

Umbra: anyway, that's festival thing is tomorrow, right?

Midnight: yeah, why?

Umbra: well, do you have any plan of attack?

Midnight: not really, we don't even know who we'll be fighting.

Umbra: then why not start off with something big, take them all out before they can even blink.

Midnight: even if I didn't do something like that, how am I to know one of my opponents can't counter it.

Umbra: attack before they have a chance to react, quick and easy.

Midnight: easier said than done, I don't know if you can tell, but I'm not faster than the process of human thought.

Umbra: holy crap, it's always about thought with you humans. Why don't you just stop thinking about what you're gonna do and just rely on you 5 senses to get you through it?

Midnight: once again, easier said than done. I don't know about demons, but most humans can't just shut their brains at will and fight autonomously. It's like self driving cars. Sure it's sounds cool, but do you really trust a computer to get you to work with no hiccups?

Umbra: hm, we'll have to work on that later.

Galand: hey, Midnight...

I looked up and saw my team standing by the door with their gym bags.

Galand: we were just about to head to the gym for some last minute training, wanna come?

I spoke to Umbra.

Midnight: what do you think?

Umbra: eh, a little last minute training never hurt anybody.

Midnight: sure, why not.

I hopped off of my bed, and Malo hopped onto my shoulder, began grabbing my gym bag and heading out of our dorm with my team.