Chapter 26: The Mountain Glenn Monster

Midnight's POV

Umbra, my team, and team RWBY continued fighting our way through quadrant 5. To be honest, this is the longest that Umbra's ever had control of my body, it was weird watching my body move, but not consciously making said movements. We just kept moving along, taking out grimm left and right.

Umbra rushed a beowolf before hopping onto its back. He placed my hand on top of its head before a black spike launched from my palm and through its skull.

He seemed to be having fun, maybe too much fun, the sadistic smile he had showed that he was oddly enjoying himself.

As Umbra kept going I took notice to Dr. Oobleck having a word with Alpha, who had just gotten done skewering 2 beowolves with one strike.

Oobleck: so, mr. Nightail, what exactly led you to wanting to become a huntsman?

Alpha: hm, well...

He scratched the back of his head.

Alpha: I want to make a difference, there're so many problems in this world and I wanna help solve them.

Oobleck: interesting.

Umbra, took his axe and began swinging violently to cut off an ursa's head, when I noticed Oobleck approach Galand.

Oobleck: and what about you, Galand, surely someone with as much energy as yourself would have a motive for taking up this line of work.

He seem to think for a moment.

Galand: I wanna make people happy everywhere I go. I wanna visits a new town and leave being friends with everyone who lives there. I wanna give people who've been lacking in joy a reason to smile.

Oobleck: fascinating, I'll remember that one.

Umbra dove into a large group of grimm before curling up into a ball and shooting out black needles from my back, killing all the grimm around us.

Oobleck: and what about you, Ethan? Wouldn't someone as timid as rather like to pursue a career in something more quiet and peaceful?

Ethan: well...that's actually it. I'm timid and afraid in these kind of situations like this, but I've been told I handle it pretty well. I just thought if I was put in similar situations more often I'd be able to face them with more confidence.

Oobleck: alright then, I wish you luck on your goals.

Umbra just kept going and going, killing grimm without and sign of wanting to stop.

???: Midnight...

Umbra turned, nearly taking dr. Oobleck's head off with his axe.

Midnight: god, warn people before walking up on them like that. I could've killed you.

Oobleck: what about you?

Midnight: huh?

Oobleck: what made you want to be a huntsman?

Umbra brought my hand to my chin, not even bothering to ask for my input.

Midnight: I just wanna go through my life making sure my kind stays in line and don't cause unnecessary trouble. Too many tragedies have been cause by those who cause trouble for no reason, and I wanna stop it.

Oobleck: hm, what do you mean by "my kind"?

Umbra flinch as he realized what he had just said.

Midnight: I...uh...the people of Remnant.

Oobleck looked into my now black eyes, seeming to try and figure something out.

Oobleck: very well then.