Chapter 21: The School Dance

Midnight's POV

The day after my...more than odd conversation with Cinder, me and my team found ourselves in Beacon's ball room, helping out team RWBY with setting up for a school dance. I was using shadow surf to get up to the ceiling and hang up lights and streamers while Alpha stood in front of a huge chunk of ice, made by Weiss, with his sword in hand

I watched as Alpha began to move faster than my eyes could follow around that ice, making quick slashes at it before standing in front of it again. Alpha reached back to put his sword back in it's scabbard, and when it was all the way it chuck of ice simultaneously fell off, leaving a perfect ice sculpture of a howling wolf.

Alpha: nailed it.

Yang: great work so far, boys.

Just then, Galand and Ethan walked in with a crystal glass punch bowl and 2 massive speakers on both of Galand's shoulders.

I dropped down from the ceiling as both me and Alpha looked on in surprise at Galand's strength.

Alpha: HOW IN THE-

Ethan: he's using his semblance.

For a moment I completely forgot Galand could do that. Galand set down the large speakers, causing the ground underneath us to shake a bit, while Ethan walked over and placed the punch bowl of the table. However, he placed it a bit too close to the edge, resulting in the bowl falling from the table. Time seemed to slow down as the 4 of us lunged to try and catch before it shattered against the ground. Just then, we all froze as the bowl stopped and was suspended midair, just an inch away from the ground.

It felt like all our hearts stopped as me, Alpha, and Ethan looked over to see Galand, with his arm extending, stopping the bowl from hitting the ground with his semblance. Ethan carefully picked up the and placed it back on the table, much closer to the vent this time.

There was a brief silence before my entire team let out a long kept in breath of relief.

Alpha: god, that would've been bad!

Galand: I'll say, Weiss would've strangled us.

Ethan: you mean she would've strangled ME, she put me in charge of move all the fragile stuff!

We all took another moment to breath when Galand began with a different topic.

Galand: so you guys got your tuxes for this this or what?

Alpha: yep, I even got a sweet deal on it too.

Ethan: I just asked mom and dad to mail me mine from home.

Then he got to me. The 3 of them looked at me, awaiting an answer.

Midnight: ...I'm not going.

In utter surprise and confusion, the 3 of them shouted...

Alpha/Galand/Ethan: WHAT, WHY NOT?!

Midnight: I never liked school dances, I can't dance, I don't like all the people being crowded into 1 room, and I hate the taste of fruit punch.

Galand: come on, man, it's supposed to be a moment for students to relax and have fun, what would you even do?

Midnight: stay in the dorm and do anything else.

Ethan: while I don't usually agree with him, Galand's right, Midnight. It's supposed to be a night of fun, we've been working really hard lately, we deserve a break.

Just then, Umbra decided to chime in.

Umbra: they're right, you know. You and you're team deserve some fun, even if it's just for 1 night.

Midnight: really, because of all people you should know why I hate school dances.

He sighed.

Umbra: the spring dance in 5th grade, the girl you asked to the dance rejected you and made you the laughingstock of the school.

Midnight: haven't gone to another dance since.

Umbra: but, if I remember correctly, Yang knocked her blocks off when she found out.

Midnight: hey, I already told her that I'm not going, and she was fine with it. She knows how I feel about these things.

Umbra: yeah, but you're team doesn't.

I looked up and saw them looking at me with dejected gazes.

Umbra: they're more than just you're team, kid.

I sighed.

Midnight: look I'll think about it, but I'm not making any promises, ok?

Galand fist pumped.

Galand: YES, I'LL TAKE IT!

At that moment, Weiss walked in carrying a large stack of doilies.

Galand: now's my chance.

With gusto, Galand walked over to Weiss.

Galand: so, Weiss, I was wonder something, would you be so inclined to-

Weiss: no.

Galand: OH, COME ON, PLEASE?!

Weiss: you already asked me 3 times and I gave you the exact same answer. No.

Alpha: wait, is he-

Ethan: no, Galand's just been begging for her to put him in charge of the music for the dance.

Alpha: like playing or organizing a playlist.

Ethan: playlist, Galand's great on the guitar, but without a drummer he can't do a show.

Galand continued to beg Weiss while on his hands and knee. I could see that Weiss was getting irritated.

Weiss: FINE...

Galand shot back to his feet before thanking her profusely.

Weiss: but on 1 condition.

Galand looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

Weiss: you have to refer to me as "Lady Weiss" for 2...3 weeks.

I watched as Galand began thinking, there were only 2 options, do it or walk away.

After a few seconds, Galand presented Weiss with his hand.

Galand: thank you, Lady Weiss.

Umbra: oh man, glad it's him and not me.

Weiss then grabbed a napkin and pen before writing something on it and handing it to Galand.

Weiss: this is a list what I DON'T want played at the dance, got it.

Galand saluted.

Galand: yes, Lady Weiss!

He walked back over to us.

Alpha: let me see that list.

He took it and began reading off the list of genres Weiss didn't want. Some of them made sense, but others were more random.

Alpha: ok, death metal, screamo, country, western, polka, jazz, reggae...throat singing?

Ethan: is she just messing with us with that?

Galand: who cares, I gotta get to work!

Galand snatched the list from Alpha before running off.