Chapter 5: Umbra

Midnight's POV

After our initiation was done, we all gathered to be given our team names. The first 3 team had already been given their names. Team CRDL, team JNPR, and team RWBY. Then it was our turn. Me, Alpha, Galand, and Ethan walked up onto the stage. Ozpin spoke.

Ozpin: Midnight Nox, Alpha Nightail, Galand Lotus, and Ethan Lotus. The 4 of you retrieved the black king pieces. From this day forward you will work together as...team MAGE, led by Midnight Nox.

My head shot up in surprise. Ozpin smiled at me and nodded. Alpha patted me on the back.

Alpha: congrats man.

Timeskip brought to you by chibi Galand carrying chibi Midnight on his shoulders towards their dorms

We entered our dorm room and took a moment to breath.

Ethan: that initiation was brutal!

Galand: I want to fall asleep and never wake up.

We picked our beds and just relaxed.

Midnight: I need a shower.

I grabbed a towel out of my luggage, as well as a change of clothes, and entered the bathroom. I turned on the water and entered. The warm water hitting my body was relaxing and put me at ease. It was just me and my thoughts.

As I showered, my eyes drifted to the bite mark on my hand. Then I thought for a moment.

Midnight: if it weren't for that snake biting me, I never would have met Ruby and Yang. I wonder what happened to that thing.

I turned off the water and began drying myself off.

???: Good, we're finally alone. Now we can have that chat.

There was that voice again.

Midnight: who said that?!

???: Turn around.

I slowly turned and saw...my shadow. It now had holes where my eyes and mouth would be.

Midnight: WHAT THE?!

???: It's surprising, huh? Most people have that reaction when they see me.

Midnight: w-what are you?!

???: *Sigh* look kid, I'm not gonna beat around the bush. I'm a demon.

Hearing him say that sent chills down my spine.

Midnight: a-a demon?

???: Yep, the names Umbra. The pleasure is all yours.

Midnight: wait...you said that wrong. Isn't it supposed to be "the pleasure is all mine"?

Umbra: Well, why would I find pleasure in meeting someone who's clearly beneath me?

Midnight: good God, you have an ego.

Umbra: well, that's because I'm a pride demon. We tend to think very highly of ourselves.

Midnight: wait, pride demon?

Umbra: you know the seven cardinal sins? Wrath, envy, greed, sloth, lust, gluttony, and pride. I just so happen to be pride. Of course, there are demons that represents the other 6 sins too.

Midnight: and what exactly are you doing here?

Umbra: oh, I've been here for a long time. 10 years infact. Ever since you were bitten by that snake I've been by your side the whole time, watching and listening.

Midnight: wait, so getting bitten by that snake made you "possess me"? Were you the snake itself or were you inside it?

Umbra: I'm not gonna go into too much detail, but essentially, I was imprisoned inside that snake, and when it bit you I was set free. Not only that but when a demon possesses a human's body, it transfers a fraction of the demon's power to their host.

Midnight: what kind of power are we talking about?

Umbra: the kind that lets you control shadows.

Midnight: but I can already do something like that with Viper and Mamba.

Umbra: hey dipstick, where do you think you got that power? Summoning those 2 shadow serpents isn't your semblance.

Midnight: what, then what is it?

Umbra: I like to call it "snake charmer". It lets you control snakes.

Midnight: huh, anyway you can leave now.

Umbra: oh that's not happening.

Midnight: WHAT?!

Umbra: you need me, human. Without my power you can barley hold your own against a beowolf. You want to be a huntsman right? Well, you need to get stronger inorder to reach that goal. Aren't you sick of people doubting you? Well, they won't ever doubt you again...if you let me stay.

I thought for a moment, then an idea came to mind.

Midnight: ok, let's assume I let you stay. What's in it for me?

Umbra: ha, of course you would ask for something in return. How about this, you provide me with a vessel to call home and I'll show you just what my power can really do. So...do we have a deal?

I began thinking again. A chance to gain more power than I already have. How could I pass this up?

Midnight: ok, I'll let you stay, but we're gonna need to sent some ground rules.

Umbra: ugh, fine.

Midnight: ok, no taking control over my body like you did in the Emerald Forest without my consent. No giving me nightmares, I can't stress that enough. And no eating my internal organs.

Umbra: kid, I've been living inside your body for 10 years now, if I wanted to eat your organs I would have done it by now.

Midnight: now do you promise to follow those rules?

Umbra: *sigh* fine, I promise.

Midnight: good, now I need to get dressed.

I put on my clothes and walked out of the bathroom.

Midnight: the bathroom's free to whoever wants it.

Ethan jumped for his bed and ran for the bathroom. He slammed the door.

Midnight: ok...so who's going next?

Alpha: I'll go last if it's ok. It takes me a long time to wash my tail so I'll be in there for a while.

Galand: I guess I'm going next.

Midnight: ok then.

Umbra: your team is really...unique.

Midnight: they might have their quirks, but that doesn't matter.

Galand: um...who are you talking to?

I flinched.

Umbra: look, it's important that our relations stay a secret. You can talk to me through your thoughts so you don't have to talk out loud.

Midnight: um, no one. I was just thinking out loud.

Umbra: good save. I could have done better though.

Midnight: you really need to get over yourself.

Umbra: and we need to work on your ego cause you being self-conscious all the time isn't gonna work for me.