Chapter 8: The Fury Of A Faunus

Midnight's POV

Midnight: Umbra, why are we in front of the school? I'm supposed to be at lunch.

It was a day or 2 after I had that chat with Ozpin. Umbra told me to go to the front of the school so he could show me something.

Umbra: I wanted to teach you how use 1 of my powers.

Midnight: seriously?! Well, let's do this!

Umbra: relax, kid. Now, I call this ability Shadow Surf. It'll let you sink into your own shadow and moved around freely. You can scale buildings, fit into small spaces, and sneak up on your enemies.

Midnight: ok, how do I use it?

Umbra: simple, just fall into your shadow.

Midnight: what?

Umbra: all you need to do is fall backwards into your shadow.

I looked back at my shadow and hesitated.

Umbra: think of it as a trust fall, you fall backwards and your shadow will catch you.

I did what he said and crossed my arms on my chest. I closed my eyes and began falling. However, I didn't hit the ground. I opened my eyes and saw that everything was black and white. My eyes were also at ground level.

Midnight: WOAH!

Umbra: cool, isn't it.

Midnight: yeah, this is awesome.

Umbra: alright, now go up that wall.

I turned to the wall and began slithering over to it. I went up the wall until I was on the roof.

Midnight: this is so cool!

Umbra: ha, better than what those other demons can do.

His comment peaked my interest.

Midnight: wait, what can the other demons do?

Umbra: hm, you should join your friends at lunch, I'll tell you on the way.

I went back to the ground and exited my shadow. I began walking toward the cafeteria.

Umbra: ok, like I said, there are 7 different types of demons, each possessing the power of a certain element. Wrath demons can convert their anger into raging flames, sloth demons can create stone soldiers to do their job for them, lust demons can bend the light around them in order to change their appearance, greed demons are able to manipulate wind in order to get in and out of places as quickly as possible, gluttony demons can turn what they eat into a poisonous substance, and envy demons use lightning to strike down the people they hate. Of course pride demons can manipulate shadows, but you probably already knew that.

Midnight: so do demons use aura too?

Umbra: yeah, but we have a lot more aura than humans so we can use our power for longer periods of time. Of course that applies to you too.

Midnight: so I'm guessing that your power doesn't stop at Shadow Surf.

Umbra: nope, I have a lot more to teach you.

Midnight: ok, I can't wait.

I entered the cafeteria and saw the rest of my team sitting with team RWBY and team JNPR. Galand saw me and waved me over.

Galand: Midnight, over here!

I walked over and sat down.

Ethan: so where were you?

Midnight: um, I just forgot something in our dorm room.

Galand: well, you got here late. Nora was just telling us an awesome story.

Nora was a member of team JNPR, along with Pyrrha Nikos, Lie Ren, and their leader Jaune Arc. Yang and Ruby were in team RWBY with Weiss and this girl named Blake.

I noticed Alpha staring at something. I followed his gaze and saw that he was staring at a girl. She had long brown hair and...rabbit ears.

Midnight: she's a faunus too.

Umbra: looks like the wolf Faunus has the hots for her.

Galand noticed too and decided to joke around a bit.

Galand: are you staring at her because you like her or because you wanna eat her.

Alpha: WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!

Galand: woah, I was just joking around with you. Ya know, cause rabbits are prey for wolves.

Alpha just shook his head at Galand's antics.

???: OW!

We all turned and saw team CRDL, otherwise known as the cockiest, jerkiest team on campus, picking on the rabbit girl. They were doing stuff like pulling her ears and calling her a freak.

Alpha: *growl*

Alpha got up from his seat and began walking over to their table.

Midnight: oh dear God, what's he doing?

Umbra: isn't it obvious, he's going to vent his anger out...through violence.

Alpha stopped and team CRDL's leader, Cardin, looked at him.

Cardin: what do you want, faunus freak?

Midnight: oh no.

Umbra: oh yes.

Without any hesitation, Alpha grabbed Cardin's head and slammed it into the table, BREAKING IT IN HALF! Cardin laid on the floor, knocked out. Alpha looked to the rest of his team and they all put their hands up in surrender.

Alpha just scoffed and walked back over to us, everyone in the cafeteria just stared at him. He sat down and continued eating.

Ethan: ya feel better?

Alpha: yep.

???: Um, excuse me?

Alpha turned around and saw the rabbit girl. His eyes widened.

???: I just wanted to thank you for helping me. Those guys are such jerks.

Alpha: hey, we faunus need to stick up for each other.

She extended her hand to him.

???: I'm Velvet Scarlatina.

He shook her hand.

Alpha: Alpha Nightail.

Velvet: well, I hope I see you again, Alpha.

She walked away and Alpha turned back to us. We stared at him.

Alpha: what?

Ethan: dude your tail's wagging.

Alpha looked behind him and saw that his tail was swaying back and forth. He grabbed it to keep it still and blushed out of embarrassment.

Galand: aw, the little puppy's in love.

Alpha: DON'T CALL ME THAT!