Chapter 34: Growing Together

Alpha's POV

Weiss: oh my god, your room is an absolute pig sty, how do you guys live like this?!

Alpha: we actually have 3 responses to that. Number 1: we've been too busy to clean up

Galand: Number 2: don't judge other peoples' living arrangements.

Ethan: and Number 3: if you don't like it then you're always welcome to leave.

Weiss just scoffed and took a seat on the edge of Ethan's bed. After Yang told the rest of us to leave her and Midnight alone, we just went back to our dorm, with team JNPR returning to theirs.

Blake: so how do you think they're doing.

Galand: if I had to guess, Yang's probably giving Midnight an earful while also trying to be comforting. I doubt she'd try to make him feel worse than he already does.

Weiss: hearing that come from you is strange.

Ruby: he's right.

We all turned to Ruby.

Ruby: even before Beacon, Midnight and Yang have alway had an unbreakable bond. Growing up, Yang would alway protect Midnight from bullies, and he'd alway comfort her when she was upset. Heck, it's been like that for so long that Midnight is practically a part of our family.

Ethan: I've actually been meaning to ask about that. How exactly did you guys meet in the first place.

Ruby looked down and a smile gradually began spreading across her face.

Ruby: it was 10 years ago, me and Yang were playing outside with our mom. Our dad heard a scream come from the woods. Mom took us inside while he went to see what it was, and later he came into the house carrying Midnight in his arms. He'd been bitten by a snake and after patching up his hand, he woke up to me and Yang looking at him...and that's how it started.

Galand: wait a sec, didn't that Umbra guy mentioned something about a snake?

Blake: he did, he said biting him was how he entered Midnight's body.

Ethan: so that means the whole reason you guys even met was-

Alpha: Umbra...

We all stayed silent, all processing this realization in our own ways. It wasn't really a horrible thing, more a story of intertwining fates...that just so happens to have been caused by a demon.

After a few minutes, the unmistakable sound of our the door creaking open rang through the room as Yang and Midnight walked in. Ruby sped over and tackled Midnight to the ground...for the second time today.

Midnight: AHH!

Ruby: YOU'RE BACK!

Midnight sighed, but still managed to crack a smile.

Midnight: yeah, Ruby...I'm back.

as he stood up and Ruby released her grip around him. He looked around at all of us as we stared him down, waiting for him to say something to try and quell our skepticism for him. He exhaled before speaking.

Midnight: ...I know it wasn't right to keep such a big secret from you guys, especially my own team mates. But, I just want all of you to know that I kept my mouth shut because it felt like I had to. I didn't want to see you get hurt because of me. From what Umbra's told me, that demon we met in Forever Fall was the first of many. So all I have left to say is...I'm sorry, and I'd be glad to have you all there, fighting by my side.

After a tense few seconds of silence, I stood up and walked over to Midnight. I stood in front of him, my eyes burning a hole through his. Everyone standing around awaited for me to do something, not anything in particular, just...something.

I could see beads of sweat begging to form on Midnight's forehead...when I extended my hand in front of him. He just looked down at it, a bit confused, before I spoke.

Alpha: it takes hard work for anybody to earn my trust Midnight, and during our time at Beacon, you've passed every test I could think of. That's not something I could say for a lot of people. However, if you want me to show even the slightest bit of trust for your "teacher", then you're gonna have to try way harder.

He smiled and took my hand.

Midnight: you got it.

Midnight's POV

After being forgiven by Alpha, we stopped when we all heard someone clear their throat. We looked and saw Ms. Goodwitch standing in the doorway.

Glynda: I'll have you know that General Ironwood wanted to speak with you about the incident today, but Professor Ozpin insisted on me coming here in his stead.

Midnight: I can probably guess what this is about.

Glynda: yes, from this point on, Mr. Nox, you are prohibited from participating in the Vytal Tournament. After unleashing that monster, people may not be particularly excited to see you make a return. However, you're 1 remaining team members is allowed to participate in the singles battles tomorrow.

Alpha: thank you, Ms.Goodwitch, is that all you have for us?

Glynda: no, I also wanted to offer some of my own advice.

She turned to me.

Glynda: if you wish to become a skilled huntsman, you need to stop relying on that demon's power. Focus of developing your own skills, because if that demon decides to leave out of the blue, you'll have nothing when you enter your next fight.

Midnight: y-yes ma'am.

Glynda: as for the rest of you, return to your dorm and get some rest.

RWBY: yes, ma'am

Team RWBY began walking out, with Yang giving me on last hug before leaving.

Glynda: good night.

With those last words, Ms. Goodwitch left, shutting the door behind her. I just walked over and sat on my bed. Malo scurried over to me, resting his little head against my thigh, I began petting him.

Suddenly, Galand sat up, staring at me with wide, bulging eyes.

Galand: I know that face...

Unbeknownst to me, I'd involuntarily started smiling without even noticing.

Midnight: huh?

Galand: ...that's the first kiss face.

Immediately after hearing that, my face turned red, further confirming his statement.

Alpha: wait, you can tell just from his expression?

Ethan: Galand's a master of reading body language.

Galand: you kissed Yang when you were out in the forest, didn't you?!

Midnight: WELL...I- UH!

Galand: COME ON, SPILL IT!

Alpha: Galand, we can talk about this tomorrow.

Galand: AWWWWWW!

I let out a sigh of relief.

Alpha: hey...

I turned to Alpha.

Alpha: you don't have anything to worry about...at least not yet, we still have time to develop ourselves, time to grow...together...as a team.