Ch5. Sam

Sam's POV

"Monster!" A woman's voice echoed around me.

I looked around to find myself in a blue and gray living room. Everything was rotten and cold like I was in the dead of winter, making me shiver. The fireplace only held ash and soot inside even though a cloud of white smoke still poured out into the air, disappearing in the dark black nothingness above me.

The coffee table was broken laying on the moist, molded floor. The couch and rocking chair were also as gross and decomposing, the same as everything else in the room. It was hard to breathe.

"Hello?" I yelled loudly as I found no one around but I felt like I was being watched.

The room looked familiar to me as I tried to remember where I'd seen it before but I couldn't as I carefully walked over to the door.

As soon as I touched the doorknob to try to open it, loud, rapid banging came from the other side. I jumped back quickly feeling this fear run through my body. I felt so scared and alone, like a child.

"I know you're in there," the woman yelled with a wild rage in her voice. "You can't hide from us. Get out here now you freak! You monster!"

I dropped to the ground, ignoring the gross and disgusting state it was in, as a weight pushed down on my shoulder. "I'm not a monster," I said, holding my legs against my chest. "I'm not a freak," I told myself as she continued to pound on the door.

I felt the wind on my back so I got up and turned around to find a window. I ran over and climbed out to escape her hateful words.

Falling on the floor I looked in the room to see it was the same room again but this time the room wasn't filled with a feeling of death and rot as someone sat in the rocking chair. I slowly got to my feet. It was a man. I could tell by his hands as he held the newspaper in front of him with the smell of cigarettes in the air.

"You better go," he said.

"Go where?" I asked, taking a step closer.

"To the doctors of course. They're going to make you better. Now go before I put you in the closet again," he said with disgust in his voice, never looking up from the newspaper.

I looked at the door before the window behind me started slamming open and shut. I looked over to the man again but he wasn't there. I was so scared as I covered my ears and squared down closing my eyes so tight.

Then, it all just stopped. I slowly opened my eyes again, confused. In front of me was an old broken gray and peeling white wooden door. I started shaking as I stood up and stepped back. I didn't want to go in there. I didn't want to go into the closet again. I started to panic.

Loud growls and thundering barking came from behind it. Scratching sounds at the bottom against the carpet floors started to be heard as something moved inside. Jumping back in surprise, I tripped on the side of the coffee table. I could see the shadows through the cracked wooden slots that run down the door but I couldn't see what it was.

"Open the door," a deep voice came from behind it.

Swallowing hard, I couldn't stop myself from getting up to my feet as my shaking hand reached for the door handle without control. I wanted to see what was behind it. I felt the urge to let it out suddenly.

"No! You're a monster!" Another woman yelled right next to me.

I was startled back from the door and looked over as whatever was behind the door started jumping against it with a threatening growl, trying desperately to get out but my eyes were pinned to the thing before me.