Side Ch: S&B 1.1- Steven (18+)

This is a side chapter between Steven and Baxter, to show more behind the scenes with these two love dove mates. If you want to skip it you can or fall in love with these characters as I have. Thank you for reading! (Any missing side chapter numbers will be available on Patreon in the Morning Coffee tier and up)

!Mature for trigger warning! Non-consensual and sexual assault. Please read with caution or skip the rest of the chapter after the TW and continue reading in the next chapter.

Steven's POV

I watched as Sam walked into the basement, shutting the door softly behind him before I took the last sip of my hot tea. I wanted to ask him to stay and talk while I waited for Baxter but he did look so exhausted.

Of course, I knew what it was like, to live on the streets too. The long cold nights with no warmth. I knew Sam craved a warm comfortable bed to sleep in and feel safe. It's just how I felt the first night we came here.

The first two nights Lexi slept with me but last night I was able to get her to sleep in her own bed before moving to my own, in hopes Baxter would cuddle up next to me in my sleep, and tonight she fell asleep while Sam was in there.

I washed my empty mug and walked into the dark living room. Sitting on the large cough with my knees to my chest, I looked out the window. Watching the wind move in the treetops for about an hour or two, letting my mind wander here and there. Baxter said he would be back this time but I was starting to get the feeling that he wasn't coming back at all. I let out a sigh of disappointment while pulling my thumb away from my mouth not realizing I was chewing on my nail all that time, a nasty habit I picked up after running away with Lexi and was on edge.

This was the fourth night we had lived here yet Baxter hadn't once shared the bed that was meant to be ours. It just felt so lonely in that big bed at night as I lay there thinking how Baxter was meant to be there beside me. But this time he said he would be back, so where was he? When was he coming back?

Having had enough waiting on the couch, I got up and walked into our bedroom. I put on my new thick knitted gray/blue cardigans that Baxter bought me the first night we were here and grabbed the small throw blanket from the end of the bed before making my way into the kitchen. Tiptoeing across the hardwood floor, I slipped out the back door onto the large back deck.

Baxter said that he would be back so I would just wait right here for him. I sat down on the top step and looked into the woods with a shiver from the cold air. Wrapping my cardigan around myself tighter, I felt a little better but it didn't stop the burning, numbness on the tip of my nose and cheeks.

It didn't take long before I heard a snap of a stick from the dark forest in front of me. Squinting my eyes into the darkness I could barely make out the large figure moving closer before two big red eyes looked straight at me, making me jump a little in surprise, not fear. I stood with a slight smile as I stepped off the stairs into the grass just as the giant wolf stepped out of the tree line.

"I knew you didn't go far," I said as the wolf let out a low purr-like sound.

He let out a small whimper as I reached out to run my cold fingertips through the warm fur that had the most beautiful different shades of brown throughout. This wasn't the first time I saw Baxter in wolf form. No, the first time I saw this massive, beautiful wolf was when he saved me after I made such a huge mistake.

♠♠♠

2 months ago

Walking around the corner I finally saw Muffin standing outside the abandoned building. She was wearing the same short hot pink skirt and red fuzzy coat that hung off her shoulders as she wore earlier in the day when we spoke.