Ch19. Sam

Sam's POV

It's been two days since I ran out of Emmett's place. I found myself missing him a lot more than I cared to for some crazy reason I couldn't begin to explain. I wanted to go back but I didn't stop moving farther away from him. I just couldn't see his face right now.

Last night I slept in a park on the other side of a large subdivision. It was the only thing that was separating me from the tall skyscrapers of the city. I was looking out at all the people walking around the big park and thinking about what my life would be like if I could just get my shit together and get a job, have money, and live as normal people did.

I pulled my knees up into my chest and held them tightly as I sat under a huge tree and looked down in sadness. The farther away I got from the city, the worse I felt about running away.

I acted horribly and probably should have given him a chance to explain but I don't know what took over me. I'm usually the one with a cool head, the understanding one, the open-minded and helpful one, even though I have a smart mouth most of the time, Emmett just broke me apart when I heard what he did.

He got what he wanted so why would he come after me this time. He was too busy to do that, too busy to care about a little thief like me. I thought for a moment he did but it was all just an act. He just wanted to know who wanted that stupid phone and just so happened to save my life in the process. Ugh, I was so torn between hating him and wanting to be close to him again.

In the corner of my eye, I could see someone sitting down next to me in the shade. I looked over to find a man looking at me as he pulled down the mask that covered his mouth and nose with a closed but wide smile. He had on a hat and sunglasses, with way too pale of skin but I could see the dark blond curly hair poking out from under his hat.

"Can I help you?" I asked him awkwardly, feeling a little weird with him looking at me like that as I looked around feeling a little uneasy. The park was full of people walking around with kids. No way someone would be bold enough to do something here. Right?

His smile faded as he turned his head forward towards the people walking by. "My days were filled with blood and pain but in the darkness of it all, we saw each other and held hands to remind ourselves we were still alive with the hope that one day we could be free once again to see the sun set and rise together. Say my name so I can remember who I am," he said to me, making me more confused.

"I... don't know," I told him honestly. From what I could see of his face, I had never seen him before. How could I know his name?

"You really have no idea who I am?" He asked, turning his head to the ground like he was sad at my answer.

"No. Sh- should I?" I asked now, feeling bad for not remembering him. Did I know him from before? Did he know me from before my memory was lost? Or was he just some crazy person?

I could see a disappointed smile on his lips. "I guess not. Watch for the ones in black, Samuel," he said and looked out towards the park once again.

I looked at him in surprise as fear took over. The only one that called me Samuel before was that man with the hunters. "How do you-,"

"Sam?"

I jumped when I heard a familiar voice next to me. It was so unexpected. I turned my head the other way quickly to see Steven standing next to a tall man who oddly looked familiar.

"Steven! What- what are you doing all the way out here?" I asked looking between the two before looking to my other side again to find no one there next to me. The man that was there before was completely gone like he was never there at all. I looked around, finding no sign of him anywhere.