Ch40. Emmett

Emmet's POV

We made our way to the building on the other side of the large cornfield. A large patch of trees and overgrown plant life hid the building covered in ivy. You could tell it had been there for a long time and if not for the newer-looking fence and people walking around with guns it would have looked abandoned.

Staying in the cover of the brushes Vincent and I watched our tracking teams get back from circling the building once more.

"What have you learned?" I asked as they both shifted back to humans.

"That's a lot of security down there," Zack started as he looked back at the building. "This is supposed to be no man's territory for farmers so they shouldn't have a building out here at all unless it was never meant to be found."

"I didn't scent any other wolf or fox shifters from where I could get close enough and I didn't see any openings from the west side," Vincent's lead, Mick said, ignoring Zack's comment and getting to the point.

"Oh, n- neither did I, Alpha. All together I spotted 4 in the tower, two armed men at each entrance and at least five walking the fence line," Zack said, looking at Mick from the corner of his eye to see Mick nod once in agreement.

"They could easily kill Sam and Baxter or use them as a hostage to kill us off if we aren't careful. We need to be swift and silent." I told them.

Dusty began coming up with a plan as we all leaned in to discuss it as our army stayed under the cover of the fields.

♠♠♠

Something didn't feel right. I couldn't tell what it was but it was a feeling that grew more uneasy in my chest as we began moving in the shadows to the building. Just before we reached the end of the cornfield, alarms started going off, making us all freeze. There was no way they could have noticed us already!

I looked closer as we stopped still in the cover of the corn stalks only to find the guards all in a panic but they weren't running to protect the gates from us, they were running to the entrances and looking at the building. I linked with everyone and told them we would be taking advantage of this unexpected distraction and they took off all at once with Vincent and his man alongside them.

Those hunters didn't even know what was happening behind them until it was too late. We were all through the gates in seconds and began our attack.

I grabbed the first man in front of me and snapped his neck before he could take another breath as the sounds of battle broke out around me. The brutal snaps of bones as Hunters were ripped apart, the gunfire that wasn't fast enough to hit us as the wolves used their speed and the dark of night for cover. It didn't take long before we had the upper hand on them but soon enough, a howl came from the side of the building.

I looked over to find a large wolf ready for battle. The Wolf Spiders showing themselves at last. He threatened us with his growl and charged, next thing I knew more came around the other side and even started jumping down from the rooftop.

I was about to join in when suddenly I looked up to see a man standing on the roof. The hairs on the back of my neck stood as our eyes met.

"Drake," I growled and he smiled before jumping down.

"Emmett," he said in a darkening tone.

Drake was once an alpha from my pack. I banished him after he couldn't accept his defeat in the Alpha Trails and submit to me. I had no idea what happened to him after that but it seems he found his way here, helping our enemies.

"Let's end this here and now brother," he growled as his eyes started to glow red.

"We are no longer brothers and this time I wouldn't let you live."

He charged at me as I dodged. He was always the hot-headed one so I knew his moves as I kicked down on his back as he ran past me. He fell but in a quick counterattack kicked my feet from under me.

We rolled a few times, punching where we could before he lunged down on top of me towards my neck with his large fangs out. I just barely moved out of the way.

Flipping him off, we both jumped to our feet as I wiped the blood from my lip. He's gotten stronger but so have I.

Launching into each other again he dodged my fist and bit into my arm hard with his human mouth. The pain was great but I wasn't going to lose to him, not when I'm so close to reaching Sam. I used it to pin him to the ground and punch his ribs. Each crack was loud enough for me to hear but he didn't show a hint of pain before he started to shift under me.

My arm crushed in his jaws as the gray and black fur started to cover his body. He would rip it off if I didn't do something fast.

I shoved my thumb into his eye, making him howl, and kicked me off with his large wolf paws. He let go of my arm as I slammed to the ground.

"Ah, you bastard!" He yelled shifting back as he held his eye that gushed blood. "I'll kill you for that!"

The bones in my arm weren't healed yet but I didn't have time to wait as I rolled away to my feet. He shifted in the jump but before he could land on me Dusty's blonde wolf rammed into him as they tumbled to the side.

They rolled, biting and clawing each other but I needed to do something. There was no way Dusty could take him on his own for much longer. I grabbed my arm and pulled it hard forward as the bones snapped back into place and the healing started to quicken once again but a howling whine rang out as I looked over to see Drake on top of Dusty.

"No!" I ran for them but in one move Drake ripped into his chest.

I jumped on his back and wrapped my arms around his throat, squeezing as much as I could to cut off his airflow. If only I could shift, I would have been able to take him in his wolf form and Dusty wouldn't have jumped in.

He tried to knock me loose but I held on as he slammed down on top of me a few times. The fourth time he did it however was his last as I heard a loud creak and his body grew heavy. To make sure he was dead, I twisted his large wolf head around, breaking his neck completely.

He shifted back into human form, giving me the chance to roll him off me and I looked to Dusty, seeing him back in his human form with a hole in his chest. It was too late. The anger filled my mind but the battle wasn't over yet. Another jumped at me but I was able to dodge before I was tackled by yet another big black wolf. I grabbed her upper and lower jaw quickly, stopping her from ripping into my face as she attacked again. An alpha female was rare.

With my hands holding her jaw I held on a few seconds for the right moment. In her struggle to free herself she pulled back just at the right time, giving me the upper hand. Her claws dug into my leg but I pulled my hands apart quickly breaking her jaw before breaking her neck.

Looking around I noticed Vincent's white wolf at the entrance so I was making my way over after breaking another wolf's arm before one of my men ripped his head off. The doors were thick steel but I pulled hard to open them. An eagerness to get to my mate took over me but it wasn't until Brian ran up and shifted to help me pull at the door that it started to give. We heard the cracking and popping of the steal before it burst open.

We ran in followed by several wolves that grow more every minute as the Wolf Spiders fell in numbers and retreated. Vincent and I ran room to room in the front of the pack. Nothing but offices and empty rooms as red and white flashing alarms to sound the emergency.

Once down to the next flood a stale smell of filth filled my nose as I ripped the door off the frame and immediately stopped to find a shocking sight before me.

.

.

.

Don't forget to like and follow me here or on my Instagram at kody.colors for a sneak peek into the next chapter two days before posting. 

And so it begins, they are into the building now and looking for the other shifters, Sam and Baxter. I hope they can find them all in time.