Ch51. Emmett

Emmett's POV

I had to look around a few times to make sure I was in the right place. Just yesterday we were here, and this place looked like a dark, run-down, gloomy place to live.

Now I was looking at the brightly colored building full of life and laughter. The broken brick street was clear of all weeds, cracks, and dirt as people danced and crowded around shops. Some played music with whatever they could find lying around, and some played with magic to entertain the children.

It was beautiful here, nothing like the depressed and broken place I thought this place was yesterday.

"Did you really think I would show you how much we have grown and overcome our unfortunate suffering long ago?" I jumped a little as Geo suddenly stood next to me while I was admiring the scene before me.

"So what I saw yesterday was just a hallucination?"

"Don't believe everything you see be true around witches, young Alpha. We don't live poorly," he said as he started walking with me at his side, but I couldn't look away from the loud and lively crowds around me. "What you saw yesterday was what this town looked like when we escaped here. I still remember it so well. The loss, and the hurt that my coven felt, but the very next day we as one rebuilt both ourselves and this abandoned town. That is the strength of my people. This town is proof of that. That's why I hid it from you."

"Why show me now?" I asked as I watched a man levitate a deck of cards in the air between his hands. The children were in awe as they began floating around them, making them giggle, and even I was a little tranced in the display.

"You said you disliked being here yesterday, and yet look at you today," Geo chuckled, breaking my gaze as I looked at him again. "It is what you say when you think no one is listening that shows the truth of your actions. If you are to have a witch's hand, then I might as well show you the truth of our strength instead of hiding it. Don't you agree?"

"You were listening to us?"

He laughed low to himself. "Wouldn't you?" That was all he asked as he walked ahead.

I guess he got me there. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I started walking after him. Mason was still amazed by everything as he stayed behind to look at the shops and dancing men and women.

He hurried back to my side when he noticed we were walking too far ahead. "Alpha, I think Felix would love this place," he said with a smile. "I'm bringing him here once he gets out of the hospital to see this place." He looked into shop windows like a child close to Christmas, watching the displays in every window they passed in the city. "They even have a lingerie shop right here. Do you think Felix would wear that? Damn, he would look sexy in that too," he asked, looking in the window as I closed my eyes, trying not to laugh as Geo looked over at us.

"Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, Mason. We are sharing the forest, not our territories."

"Is he one of the cursed ones we will be looking at as well?"

"No High Priest. He was only injured recently, and it, um, took one of his eyes. He's having a hard time adjusting to it, but I think something pretty would lighten his spirits," Mason proudly answered Geo.

"You said his name was Felix. Are you speaking of Asher's son, then? The one who was marked a traitor to his pack for helping the wolves?"

Mason's cheerful mood shifted to defense faster than I could intervene. "What did you just call my mate?"

"Calm down, Mason," I quickly said as I felt the magic in the air shift around us while eyes started to turn our way.

"I meant no harm, Beta. I'm just speaking what I heard," Geo said, stopping in the street as he smiled at Mason.