Ch85. Sam

Sam's POV

My eyes were hazy as I woke to Zack shaking and calling out my name. It still felt like hands were wrapped around my neck, and I couldn't stop rubbing it to make sure. My whole body felt sore and even broken. Looking to the side in confusion of where I was, I saw Markus walking over with Felix in his arms.

The first thing I noticed was his leg dangling and covered in blood. Markus sat him down before moving to me. "Are you okay?" he asked, grabbing my arm.

Looking at him, I could see how exhausted he was. His deep red eyes told me how hungry he was. I used to see those eyes often when we were caged together in the labs and knew how dangerous it was for him to be in this state, yet as always, he tried not to show how weakened he truly was. I'm sure all the blood around us wasn't helping him either.

But then it hit me. Markus was here. That means..., I looked around me, searching the hallway. "Where is Emmett?" I asked in a raspy voice as my throat burned.

"Still in the city," Markus answered first.

Felix sniffled, drawing my attention to him. "Some of us left as soon as we found out they attacked here too. My father was always one for sneaky tricks like this. I'm sure it was his idea to come here to weaken and distract the fighters for Revere. Those two..., cowards." He put his head down on one knee and began crying.

"Steven," I whispered and sat up faster than I should have, but I didn't care how dizzy my head felt. I had to get to him.

A scream filled the air, one that made my blood turn cold as everyone around me jumped.

"S...Steve!" Another crying scream filled the air. "H... Hel..., Help!"

Ignoring the fire that spread throughout my body, I jumped up and stumbled into the living room with Zack and Markus trying to help me. Lexi was leaning over Steven's body hysterically.

I dropped to her side and wrapped her in my arms, fearing the worst and wanting to hide her from seeing her brother like that. He was so pale, and I couldn't tell if he was breathing.

"What did this?" Markus asked, looking down at the dead vampire.

"That black fox shot him. He gave Steven blood right before that," I squeezed Lexi tighter as she sobbed into my chest.

Markus checked where Steven was ripped open before and then his neck before looking at us. "The blood worked. It healed his wounds. He could have lost too much blood, which is something our blood can't replace. He's human, so it takes longer for his body to recover, but he is alive. I can hear his heart beating."

Lexi hiccuped as she pulled away from me to hold Steven, and I could breathe again. I was so scared we were too late.

Markus slowly stood but stumbled, making Zack rush over to try catching him. From where I sat on the ground, I saw how badly his body trembled. "I'm fine. It's okay."

Just then, Baxter's wolf came into the room. He was covered in blood and limping, but as soon as Lexi saw him, she stood, and he was in her arms within seconds as he fell nearly on top of Steven, cuddling together with Baxter's wolf whining on Steven's chest.

The others from downstairs came in soon after. It became a madhouse as they ran around us, looking for their loved ones who didn't make it to safety in time. We were given clothes while someone had to replace Felix's leg bone for it to start healing and wrapped it as fast as they could to move on to the others injured throughout the house. Others fought to get Baxter's wolf and Lexi away from Steven long enough for them to look him over and move him into the infirmary to rest more comfortably.

Sylvia came rushing over with tears in her eyes, hugging me tightly. "Thank you, Sam," she said over and over again. "You saved so many lives. I hope you understand how indebted this pack is to you," she said before explaining how she was so busy trying to keep the panicked calm and helping the injured that she didn't realize I was still outside when they sealed the doors. By then, there was nothing she could do. The foxes were trying to bust down the doors. If any more had come, they might have gotten in.

She looked around at the dead and the damage to the inside of the house, before suddenly turning away from us to the shattered front door. "They're here," was all she said before running to the front yard. Felix gave me a look from where he sat on the ground, and I wasn't sure where Zack and Markus went off to, but I followed Sylvia.

Worry clenched my stomach. I wasn't sure if Samual or I could fight anymore, but we were ready to if needed. Making our way outside, howls began to fill the bright midday sky, and my chest twisted as they came into view with Emmett's wolf in the front of the pack.

I ran past Sylvia, not caring that my feet were bare over the cold fall grass. Emmett ran faster ahead of everyone else, tackling me to the ground and attacking me with wet licks all over my face. His fur was covered in blood and mud as he nearly crushed me under his weight.

He shifted on top of me as the others ran by. "My moon, thank the goddess." He hugged me tighter. "I heard you shifted, and I was so worried. Asher was here with the foxes but my father... It was so hard to keep my focus, and it killed me not knowing if you were okay or not."

"I'm okay. I remember everything. I..., I remember everything." It dawned on me then. Samuel took over, but I..., I didn't black out! Maybe for a moment when the fighting was heavy, but Samual let me in. I... I did it!

"You... you didn't black out?" Emmett paused, giving me a questioning look, but then he smiled and bumped our foreheads together. "I'm so proud of you."

I hugged him, smiling at myself. I can remember the feel of Samual's far. His paws on the ground, and the way his muscles moved. It was something I never thought was possible again. It was the reason I felt heartbroken every time I shifted back because I couldn't remember feeling the wind in my fur. That freeing feeling of my body finally in the right size and not caged inside me. And now..., now I remember.

I couldn't help the tears that fell as I held my mate in my arms. "I'm so proud of you too. Thank you for coming back to me."

"I will always come back for you, my moon," he said, resting his head on my shoulder. "I couldn't have done this without you."

***

Thanks for reading. Find where Markus and Zack ran off to in a Patreon-only side chapter. The final chapter will be posted on the 20th. My BIRTHDAY! Awe. That was not planned at all I just realized it as I was scheduling this. LOL! Read it fully uncensored on Patreon.

 LOL! Read it fully uncensored on Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/Kodyjrobins