Ch14. Emmett/Sam

Emmett's POV

I walked into my office, not even bothering to turn on the lights yet. My fists were still tightly closed, digging my nails into the skin but I didn't care when I smelled blood from it as I leaned my back against the door.

As much as my father pissed me off, he was right. The hunters being here in the city wasn't a good sign and they somehow managed to get a Wolfspider to work for them as well. My phone had enough proof in it for the hunters to invade this city and all the members of my pack in it as well. It showed me how careless I was with it, thinking I was invisible to their reach. That was my careless mistake but it won't happen again.

They're just looking for a reason to attack my pack and now that I know what they are up to, they won't ever find that reason. We will just have to be smarter about the way we do things and I'll have to inform the rest of the pack so they know to stay out of trouble or be smarter about covering it up so the Hunters Council wouldn't hear about it.

But my father didn't have to be an asshole about it either. I know what has to be done but I also need to keep Sam safe as well. I didn't know what the hunters wanted with him or how they knew who he was but if they found out he was a human with some kind of fast healing abilities they would cut him to pieces trying to find out what the reasoning for it was or try to take it for themselves. Maybe they already knew which is why they dropped everything to get him instead but with his memory loss, it was hard to tell.

Sam. Thinking about him always made me nervous as I sat down behind my deck but then the images of what happened right before I left came flooding in. It's like we both completely lost control over ourselves. His scent was just so strong in the bathroom too, like he had a scent gland there but that didn't make sense either. Humans didn't have scent glands on their necks like we did.

I was so ashamed of myself though. I never thought this pull towards your mate would be so hard to keep under control but the smell of him just made me crazy, the urge to claim him and mark him for everyone to see was so strong that I keep losing myself completely around him. To make it worse, it only seems to be getting stronger the longer I spent time with him and the closer we got to each other.

Did he feel it too though? I was told humans didn't feel the connection like we did. They loved differently than us which is why I didn't want to tell Sam he was my mate yet but it seemed like he had been having a hard time controlling himself as well. This was just so confusing.

Out of nowhere, I was snapped from my thoughts as my body jumped. I felt this sudden fear wash over me pulling me away from my thoughts. Sam. Something was wrong.

Sam's POV

One of the yellow-eyed wolves bit into my side making me scream in pain as another tore into my shoulder. The door was just right there but I couldn't reach it as another latched onto my arm. They were trying to pull me back away from it as much as they could.

"Open the door, Sam. I can save you," the voice from the other side yelled at me. "Only you can open the door."

I pushed as hard as I could trying to inch myself closer before another yellow-eyed wolf jumped onto me making me stumble back again.

"Hurry Sam. Fight them. Open the door. I'm the only one who can save you," he told me again as I yelled out in pain.

Open the door, open the door, open the door. It's all I could think about. It's the only thing I could do to save myself as the wolves tore into my body. I was so scared as the tears came running down my face. I couldn't do this, I couldn't reach the door.

"It's okay Sam," I heard Emmett's voice fill my head. "You're safe now. I'm right here."

Emmett. He sounded like he was behind the door too. He didn't sound okay either. He sounded scared and worried. I jumped for the door with every last bit of energy I had left and grabbed the handle just as another wolf bit into my neck.

Emmett's POV

Sam was shaking and mumbling something but I couldn't fully understand him as I sat on top of him trying to wake him.

"Sam please, wake up. It's just a dream my moon," I told him, grabbing his face between my hands and pressing my forehead against his.

Suddenly he gasped for air and his eyes shot open but they weren't his normal beautiful earthly brown-colored eyes. They were completely black with a small thin golden orange-colored ring in the middle making me pull back quickly in surprise.

"Sam?" I asked but when I looked back into his eyes they were the same brown color that reminded me of the earth's floor once again and filled with fear. Was I just imagining it?

"Emmett," he said, still breathing heavily as he pushed himself up, wrapping his arms around my waist. He was trembling. "I- I was so scared."

I quickly held him tightly against me. "It's alright Sam."

"That wolf from the alley, he- he was-, there were four of him. All biting into me. It felt so real."

"Shh, it's okay. His dead Sam. He can't hurt you again. I promise you're safe now. It was just a nightmare," I told him, trying my best to comfort him as I rolled over to my side to get comfortable with him still trembling in my arms.

I've looked for so long to find my mate, longing to hold them in my arms just like this. I began to lose all hope that I even had one in this world anymore, that maybe something bad happened to them and they died before I had a chance to meet them but then he showed up out of nowhere. I finally find him and look at what I did in return. He was trembling and scared in my arms all because of what I did. I never should have let him leave my side. This was all my fault.

I nuzzled my nose into his hair as he started to cry. He just barely held himself together until now with everything that's happened. "It's okay Sam. Just let it out. I'm right here and I won't leave you," I told him while his grip on me tightened. Hearing him like that made my own wolf cry with him.

I laid there holding him and rubbing his back as best as I could until I felt his body start to heavy and his sobbing lesson. He was asleep once again and without wanting to wake him, I slowly moved the blankets over us both, kicking off my shoes and snuggling up next to him more.

"I promise to always protect you, my mate," I told him and kissed his forehead gently.

It didn't take long before I felt myself start to drift into the deepest sleep. The scent of him surrounded me like the warmth of a fireplace after a long night's hunt in winter. All my worries from the day just melted into the sheets and were long forgotten.

.

.

.

Don't forget to like and follow me to stay updated!