Ch67. Sam

Sam's POV

Lily hid a little behind me as we walked outside. A closeby bark startled me as I looked up. Emmett's wolf stood in front of us with about ten wolves. I could see more lowered in the grass around the cabin, however.

The hair down Emmett's back stood, but his head raised slowly. "I... I'm fine!" I yelled at all of them. "It's safe here. Please stand down!" I tried to sound confident in what I was saying, but it came out shaky as I stepped off the porch and looked at Emmett.

Emmett looked around before cautiously stepping closer. He sniffed the air, making his hair stand on his back again before he looked at me again with a low whimper.

"It's safe, I promise," I whispered to him before his body loosened a bit when he looked at Lily behind me.

I held out the pants to him, but he didn't seem to want to shift as he growled low. "I need to talk to you."

He looked around once more before shifting into his human form. "Are you hurt anywhere?" He asked, taking the pants and slipping them on. They were loose around his waist, but he didn't look like he cared.

"I'm fine, but-" He snapped his eyes to mine, making me jump in place. "This is... Lily," I stuttered before a lump began forming in my throat.

He looked down at her momentarily before turning back to me quickly. "She's the one we've been looking for," he nearly yelled in a shocking tone.

"She's m- my..., daughter," I nearly whispered as I forced the words past the lump in my throat. As much as I wanted to lower my head and look away as his face turned blank for a second, I kept it high in the air. "This is my daughter," I told him more confidently. "Markus brought me here to give her back to me and... explain it to me. I..., I didn't know until now, but she..., she's umm.." I couldn't think of the right words to say as he just stared between us without saying a word, his eyes still wide. "Are you... upset?"

I lifted Lily into my arms and held her tight as fear ran through me. He wasn't saying a word or making a sound. His facial expression didn't get a hint of anything. If he rejected me, she would be the only thing that would keep me from falling apart.

"Emmett?" My voice cracked, fighting back tears.

He blinked and shook his head. "I... I thought she had a little hint of your scent when I saw her at the lab, but I wasn't sure..." he lowered his head as he rubbed his chin.

I closed my eyes, feeling my heart start to tighten in my chest. "She doesn't have anyone else. I can't and won't let her grow up alone like I did. She needs me, and I'll be there for her." I needed him to know I wasn't going to give her up.

He looked between us again and nodded his head. "I understand." He paused for a little too long like he was lost in thought or thinking of the right words to say, but just when my heart couldn't take anymore, he spoke again. "I think there are two rooms next to each other on the floor by my office."

My eyes widened. "You mean..."

"Well, I'm sure you don't want us to be on a different floor than her. As you said, she's your daughter, and we should make her comfort-"

I cut off his words as I laid a hand on his arm, trembling. I couldn't raise my head but saw him step a little closer. His hand combed through my hair and pulled me into his chest, giving me a half hug since Lily was still in my arms.

"I was getting a little worried you were going to reject them both," I heard Markus say behind me.

Emmett pulled me into his arms a little tighter as he growled.