Ch55. Emmett

Emmett's POV

We walked out of the Hunter's Council large meeting hall. The doors slammed shut behind us as Vincent kicked the bottom of the door.

"Fucken cowards!" He yelled before growling loud as he turned to me. "Can you believe them?" He pointed behind him as we began down the long set of stairs.

"It honestly doesn't surprise me, though," I told him. "It's easier for them not to take the blame and to deny all responsibility. If the group was truly working on their own without the council's knowledge, they hid well but seeing as how they were so public when they took Baxter in your territory. It should have made them jump into some kind of action, and yet they did nothing," I sighed deeply. "However, if they were working for their council, we have no proof linking them together. As our council sees it, they are telling the truth and don't deem this an act of war."

"Yeah, because they know we would kick their asses again if a war started!" He yelled loudly, making a few hunters in the training fields next to the building turn our way.

"Whatever the reason, at least we know they won't retaliate after this. That gives us more time to figure out what is going to happen to the feral ones back at home," Baxter said as he walked behind us.

He was right. Now I can focus solely on their recovery, which is our top priority. Hopefully, the shifters council would at least help us with that since we didn't know much about this nearly extinct state of mind in shifters.

"Alphas! Alphas, held on for a moment- ahh!" Someone yelled behind us as the three of us reached the bottom of the stairs, making us all turn around.

As soon as we turned around, all I could see were papers and folders in my face before something hard slammed into my chest.

I fell over by the sudden weight, landing on my back and dazed by what the hell just happened.

"Oh, my goddess! Emmett, are you okay?" Vincent yelled as he ran over, but Baxter was nearly rolling on the floor in laughter.

"Goodness me! I..., I'm so sorry. Forgive me, Alpha!" Someone said as a hand pushed over my chest.

Looking down at what was on top of me, a short young boy with jet-black hair pushing himself up to sit on my lower body and holding his head.

"Get off me!" I growled in anger.

The boy's face paled before turning dark red as he scrambled off. Vincent helped me to my feet.

"I'm so sorry, Alpha. Please forgive my misfortune," the boy said as he bowed his head low.

"Watch where you're going next time," I said, trying to control my temper as I dusted off myself. "Are you alright?"

"Here," Baxter said, handing him some of the papers that were scattered around. He bit his lip, trying to calm more snickering, but I could tell he was having a hard time.

"Ah! My papers!" The boy took them and quickly scooped up the rest before we could help. Once done, he turned back to us and for the first time, I saw his eyes. They were dark gray, covered by black framed glasses, but as the wind shifted, his scent finally hit my nose. A crow shifter?

"What business do you have here, crow?" Vincent asked, starting to get impatient.

"Oh, right! Thank you for stopping, Alphas. I'm a crow shifter, as you can smell. My name is Shadow. I work with the Shifter's Council, back at headquarters, in the History library," he introduced himself, pushing his glasses up his thin but slightly long nose. "I've been assigned to accompany you back home and teach you about the feral shifts. If I have your permission to enter your territories, of course. We crows can't enter without promise under the spy laws."