Ch86. Sam

Sam's POV

I walked down the street, looking at the humans. I used to imagine what kind of life they had back home. A family? Children to greet them at the door from a long day at work? I used to wonder how that would feel, walking in the door to a loving family, warm bed, and hot food in the cold months.

I didn't have to wonder anymore as I walked off the elevator to the warmth of those walking to their destinations—some in human forms and others in wolf, where they were more comfortable. They turned their heads to greet me with smiles, and I did the same. I remembered most of their names, and they enjoyed helping me when I didn't.

We have been back home for two months. Repairs were slow, but regaining the humans' trust would take longer. The pack took a financial hit paying for any damage caused within the city while Revere let Wolf Spiders run loss, but it was something we were all more than willing to do.

Only a few left the pack after Emmett reclaimed his place as Alpha. Those forced to fight for Revere have been forgiven and reunited with their families. They have been working hard to prove their loyalty to Emmett, but Emmett understands the pack's rules and putting your family's safety first. He didn't hold any hard feelings toward them.

I walked into our new apartment within the house. Lily jumped into my arms with a purr-like sound as I tried to hide the gift behind my back.

"Daddy! Em is cooking," she said, hugging around my neck harder. She's been doing so well speaking more than before. My heart still melted every time she called me Daddy, like hearing it for the first time all over again, and I couldn't help smiling at the cute nickname she called Emmett.

I took a few sniffs of the air and put her feet on the ground again. "I don't smell anything burning. It must be going well." I joked, causing her to giggle. "Were you good for Em while I was gone?"

"You know, believe it or not, I can cook a few things," Emmett said, causing me to look up and see his bright smile as he leaned against the door frame that separated the living room and kitchen. "She was also a nightmare. We are never going for a run again." He grumbled, walking back into the kitchen.

Lily covered her mouth, trying to hide a giggle as I turned my attention back to her. "Did Snow beat him again?" I asked.

Giggling harder, she nods. "We ran from the witches' gardens."

"Well, I guess you earned this then." I smiled, pulling out the book I had hidden behind my back. She wasn't the best reader yet, but she loved it when we read to her before bed.

Lily's face lit up as she jumped joyfully, flipping through the pages to look at the pictures inside while plopping on the couch.

I walked into the kitchen, loving how Emmett looked in front of the stove. Walking over, I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder blade.

"Any word from Zack today?" He asked, caressing my arms.

"Not a word. I'm worried about him. He's refusing to eat. I think you need to go up there and do something because whatever I'm doing is just making it worse."

After the fighting ended, Markus lost a lot of energy, making his hunger for blood too great. Zack tried to help his mate. He let Markus feed from him, but Markus lost control, causing Zack to pass out from the blood loss. Panicked and ashamed, Markus and the other vampires left after we assured them Zack was fine. They even packed the cabin they were staying at, the place Zack was now anxiously awaiting their return like a lost puppy. My heart sank for him, but we had members there with him around the clock.

Emmett let out a long sigh. He already had to appoint someone else to Lead Tracker in Zack's absence, but he cared for him deeply. "I'll try again."

"What are you making for dinner? It smells good."