Ch71. Markus

Markus's POV

I should have called to let them know I was coming to see them today since Sam would be in the pack house, but what was the fun in that?

I didn't, however, expect to hear Lily's baby howl from behind me as I walked down an alley. The highway was a mile back, but with my hearing, I knew it was her. What the hell was she doing all the way out here? My fangs grew as I sped toward her cries. Sam was in the back seat holding his ears, his eyes golden and black. His wolf was coming out.

The boy trying to help him out was unknown to me, which only infuriated me more, but the one getting out of the driver's seat was familiar. The beta I knocked out a few days ago. Where the hell was he taking them? And where was Emmett?

I slammed the large beta against the driver's door before he could move away from it. "What the fuck are you doing?" I asked, hissing in his face with my fangs fully out.

His eyes widened in what looked like panic, knowing full well what I was. "You're the vamp from the other day."

"Such a smart dog." My anger only grew worse as my grip tightened around his shirt collar. "Answer me before I rip your head off!"

"Let him go," the unknown male yelled as he ran around the car. Their scents were mixed, which only met they were bonded mates.

I let the man go but grabbed the pretty one instead. "I'll bleed him right here," I warned the beta as he stepped toward me with my fangs near his mate's neck as I twisted his arm near breaking. "Open the back door and let Lily out now. Sam!" I called out, still hearing his painful cries. Lily's wolf was scratching at the window and howling for me, poor frightened girl.

"This is a misunderstanding. We need to get them out of here," the beta told me, moving slowly to the back door. "You're Sam's friend, right? Emmett had to challenge his father, so he ordered us to take them to the Crescent Moon pack, where they would be safe." He opened the door as Lily's wolf jumped out and ran behind my leg to hide. "When I told Sam, he panicked, and then Lily's wolf started freaking out."

I listened more to his heartbeat. It was fast, but that was because I had my teeth close to his mate's jugular, and damn did this pretty little thing smell like a 5-star meal. So fucken tasty, it was hard to resist, but I pushed him away to his mate, hearing no lies in his words.

"Are you okay, my fox?" he asked, soothing his shaking mate.

I couldn't care less about them as I scooped out the wolf cowering between my legs. Such a dramatic day for her. "Hush, sweet girl," I nuzzled her nose against mine. "I heard your crying. Let me make sure Lily is okay."

The pup whined but shifted, showing me the adorable little white-haired girl. She reminded me so much of my human daughter from four hundred years old. They both had the same gentleness in their eyes and light hair. She was around the same age as Lily when hunters came in the middle of the night and slaughtered my family. Accusing us of helping some vampire on the run, they left me tied to a post in front of their dead bodies to starve to death. That's when the vampire who I had never met before saved and turned me. We hunted and killed every last one of them.

After seeing her in that wolf's arms, I couldn't help but be so protective of this little girl. She looked so scared and broken. I named her after my daughter's favorite flower, and it fit with her white hair and yellow eyes.

Lily hugged me as tightly as she could, but as soon as I noticed she was naked, I moved at vampire speed to grab the little dress in the back seat and get her dressed before checking on Sam.

He looked to be in control again, panting in the grass just off the road. "You have to take me back," he huffed. "I need to protect him."

"You'll do no such thing," I told him bluntly. "Even most animals will kill their old alpha's mate and children. If Emmett sent you away, then he knows his father would do the same."