Ch44. Emmett

Emmett's POV

I looked down at Sam in the hospital bed, thinking of the last time we were here like this. How could I let this happen again? All the mistakes, all the wrong decisions I've made.

It was a wake-up call for me. I second-guessed everything my father told me and taught me while growing up and after becoming the alpha. I thought he would guide me in the right direction for the best of the pack, but that wasn't the case.

I was over fearing his disappointment. I had been a disappointment to him all my life. He wasn't going to make this pack stronger standing by my side. Sam was. My Luna would. I will move us forward once I step out of his shadow and that's what I will do. I'll be making my own decisions without his help or input from now on.

"Everything looks good, Alpha. His levels are normal, and the scans don't show any brain damage, but we will know more once he wakes up," the doctor said as I looked up at her.

"How long will that take?"

She looked down at her charts. "It's unclear at this point, Alpha. You said it was his first shift in an unknown amount of time, and it was extremely slow. Normally a wolf doesn't go more than a month without shifting unless it's a pregnancy, it's almost impossible to resist it on a full moon, plus the physical effect it would have on the wolf's body for being caged inside for so long. Like us, they also need to eat, keep hydrated, and move their muscles around. A shift is a lot on our bodies, but we grow used to it the more we shift and the older we get, but a slow shift like that after so long? I'm surprised there wasn't any permanent damage, but he shifted back so easily as you say. I've never heard of something like this before. You also said he suffered from memory loss as well?"

I looked down at Sam again, running my hand over the short hair that laid against his forehead. "Yes. He told me he lost his memories five years ago. When he was shifting, he had no idea what was happening but was talking about some things he remembered from his past, so it was coming back just before. I know he hasn't shifted in 5 years at least. It might sound weird, but if he lost his memories and didn't remember he was a wolf shifter, could that stop the shift?"

"No, Alpha. That wouldn't be enough to stop a shift. Whether he remembered or not he would have shifted. His wolf side would have forced it. If he somehow went five years without shifting, then something else was stopping it but what? I don't know at this time. I just can't believe he went five years without shifting even once. It's just unheard of in any shifters," she said looking at Sam with so many questions in her eyes.

I growled a little at her comment. I knew it had been at least five years just from the way he acted when he first saw Brian and Mason in their wolf forms and his questions. You couldn't fake a reaction like that. Yet she was implying he was a lair?

"I- I will look into it though, Alpha. I would give him a few days before he wakes up between the bad shift and if his memories are coming back. His mind will need to catch up, as well as his body and strength."

"I know it's been crazy in here these last 24 hours, but please do. I think this is what the Hunters were doing in there."

She nodded and walked out as I sat down with a long sigh, running a hand through my hair. It's been one hell of a ride these last two days with the fight at the hunter's hideout, getting the others here and the burning of our fallen a few hours ago.

Vincent and I chose to burn our fallen together and sent them to the moon goddess together as one, but I didn't want to leave Sam alone for long after I was told they were done with all his testing. I came back after the burning was over. Most of our packs were still in the forest celebrating their loved ones and pack members ascending to our Luna.

I was exhausted. I couldn't sleep much with everything that had been happening and things we needed to get done, but being here in this room helped. I felt calmer with Sam's scent around me. Laying my head down next to his hand, it didn't take long before I felt myself start to fall asleep.

There was still so much to do though. I forced myself to stand up to shake off the drowsiness. "I'll be back shortly," I told Sam like he could hear me and kissed his forehead.

The hall was quiet. Most of the others were upstairs, but I kept this floor for Sam and Baxter, plus Felix was already on this floor with other resting patients that needed a quiet place to heal.

Once on the next floor up, it was like a different place. Nurses and Doctors were still busy after a full day of working hard. The new shifters, 57 in total, were given IVs to help with their dehydration, and some were able to eat little food for the first time in who knew how long, but they were all still so weak and under heavy watch. Many were still scared and confused about what was happening, and others just slept in their rooms, trying to help heal themselves faster.

I walked up to the desk where one of the girls was looking at the computer screen. "Can you tell me where Kathy is?" I asked. I wanted to check on the little girl I told her to stay with. Kathy never texted me or gave me any updates on the girl despite my orders, and I've been too busy to look.

"I'm sorry Alpha. I haven't seen her here at all," she answered and looked around to ask one of the other nurses, but she said the same thing. "I could check the other hospital, but from what I understand, everyone ended up coming here instead."

"Well, could you tell me if you've seen a little girl? She's also a wolf shifter with white hair and yellow eyes."

They both looked in thought for a moment. "No. I'm sorry, Alpha. I don't remember seeing a little girl with white hair. I'll call the other hospital we had on standby just in case," she said, grabbing the phone.

"I'll check the rooms once again, Alpha. Maybe she is in one of the rooms I haven't been-"

"I said no!" someone yelled, catching our attention.

I looked over to see Zack trying to get a man to go back into his room and rest, but the man refused. I started walking that way immediately.

"I've told you wolves, I don't know how many times now, that you need to lock them all back up!" he yelled.

"Why would we lock anyone up after we freed them from their cages?" I asked, stepping into view. "Zack, can you check on Sam for me and then get some rest? I'll handle this."

He nodded, looking more tired than I felt, and walked away.

"Finally. Alpha Wolf, you must listen," he said, grabbing my arm with shaking hands. I tried to pull away, not liking him touching me, but his grip only tightened. "It's not safe here. You must lock them up before it's too late. Save your pack!"

"What are you talking about? Please let go of me, and sit down. I'm not going to walk away while you're speaking," I said, trying to pull my arm away, but he grabbed it tighter, which really pissed me off.

"No! No, don't go! You have to listen! Without the non-shift th- they will all-"

His words stopped as a woman's scream came from down the hall. The air from that way started to grow thick as she ran out of the room in fear.

"No, no, it's too late! Lock the doors! They will kill you all!" He yelled, hiding under the desk quickly.

I looked down the hallway again as the silence took over everyone around me. It felt like slow motion as we all watched the giant yellow paws step out of the room. My eyes grew big as I slowly looked up to see the black strips over its yellow fur, the long whiskers around its open mouth that showed huge thick fangs made to rip meat from bones in a single bite.

Tiger shifters weren't found anywhere in this part of the country. I'd never seen one before, and yet here one was in front of me, in the middle of my territory. With the same black-colored eyes as Sam had, with a thin yellow and green ring in the middle.

This couldn't be happening right now?

.

.

.

Please don't forget to like this chapter! Thank you so much for reading!

Well, that's one way to end a chapter! Now we have a tiger in the hospital full of people, and with the same kind of black eyes as Sam had when he shifted and lost control of himself. Scary!