Ch24. Sam

Sam's POV

Baxter ended up staying in his wolf form for most of the day as Steven and I started to make dinner. I was kind of learning how to cook with real food but Steven was practically a pro at it already as he diced up the vegetables like he's been doing it for years. Call me impressed, I couldn't believe in a short time he was that good. I was still on my first potato while he was on his sixth and adding it to the boiling water.

"Thank you for talking me into doing that Sam," he finally told me as he finished cutting the last of the vegetables.

"You're welcome but I am sorry for being kinda rude about it," I told him honestly. "I don't know why but I've been feeling kinda short-tempered lately and you were in the line of fire there."

"Don't be sorry. I kind of needed to hear it or else I probably would have kept fighting against it. Plus you weren't that rude," he told me as he smiled and looked over to Baxter, who was laying against the couch on the floor with Lexi laying against him, watching TV. "I didn't think I would see that by the end of the day when I woke up this morning. I wish you would have told me first so I was better prepared but I guess it all worked out in the end."

I chuckled a little as we watched Lexi's eyes flutter, trying to fight off sleep, while Baxter was already passed out looking as comfortable as ever but it didn't surprise me that he was already napping. He did like to sleep and lay around when he wasn't doing much else.

"Yeah it's pretty cute," I admitted to him.

It didn't take long before she was out cold and Steven took Baxter's phone off the table to snap a few pictures.

Walking back into the kitchen he set the phone down slowly and his mood shifted. "Lexi went through so much. I feel so guilty because I never paid enough attention to what was happening with her. I... I was more focused on baseball and my stupid catch framing and batting scores that I didn't see the marks and bruises." He looked up as tears streamed down his face. "They were so great to me that I never thought they would do something so awful to my sister." He sniffled and wiped his tears as I put a hand on his shoulder.

"It's not your fault Steven. The important thing is that you got her out of there and now you are both in a safe home," I told him. "You did the best you could out there on the streets too and you fought so hard to make sure she had food and water every day even to the point where you fell ill from lack of food. That's when Lexi thankfully found me close by."

Steven laughed a little. "Yeah. Thanks for putting up with my crazy ass that day too."

"Crazy is an understatement. We had to trick you into eating that burger since you refused to eat anything if Lexi didn't take a bite first. She had to pretend to take a bite before you would finally take one for yourself. Ugh, I really wanted that burger too." I joked at the end with a smile.

"I'll make you a homemade burger soon to make it up to you."

I chuckled a little. "You better. But as crazy as that day was, it did show me how much you put her needs before your own. I saw how much you care for her and I also saw how much she cared for you too by how brave she was to go and find help from a stranger."

He smiled a little as he dried the rest of his tears. "Yeah. It's always been me and her but I'm so happy to have you and Baxter now. We aren't alone anymore."

"Nope. You're stuck with us now."

We gave each other a well-needed hug and finished dinner before Steven reluctantly woke up the two sleeping peacefully on the living room floor all cuddled together.

After a big long stretch, Baxter, tiredly shook off his sleeping haze and walked to the room to change back before we, for the first time, sat at the table together and ate dinner as a real family would. The air around us was lighter and brighter as Baxter and Lexi sat next to each other for the first time and enjoyed their food together. I felt a part of something for the first time and I couldn't have felt happier to be a part of it as I looked at them.