Ch43. Emmett

Emmett's POV

Sam's wolf showed all his long sharp teeth but hadn't attacked yet as he pinned me to the ground with both of his large off-white paws on my chest.

I reached up slowly and ran my fingers into his long fur, feeling how dry and unclean it was, hoping Sam could get control of himself again. His dark, cold, eyes looked into mine as the thin golden ring seemed to only grow thinner, the one still looked to have a purple tent but finally stopped changing colors.

"Stay with me, my moon. Please. Please don't make me do this," I pleaded before I showed him my own bright blue alpha eyes. "I don't want to fight you or hurt you."

I didn't give him time to make the first move, his eyes told me what he would do. His body tensed and I shifted into my wolf underneath him and threw him off quickly. He landed close to the doorway on his side as I flipped around to my feet but he jumped back quickly trying to go for my neck. I dodged and pinned him to the ground trying to get his wolf to submit but he fought against me.

He managed to kick me off as I landed into the fence Baxter was once tied to, with a crashing sound of it smacking the hard ground. Sam is much stronger than I expected in the state of his wolf but I wasn't really surprised either. Something always told me that Sam was physically stronger than he looked plus I got my first look into that strength when he throw me across my waiting room.

Linking with all I could in the building I told them not to interfere for their safety. I didn't want Sam to attack and hurt anyone else and I really didn't want anyone to hurt Sam either. I just needed to get him to submit to me and get back in control to see I wasn't his enemy.

We jumped into each other again as he clawed and bit into me, trying to rip my skin apart like I was a moving chunk of meat. I keep my head above his and sink my fangs hard into the back of his neck, jumping on top of him to get him to lay down. He just needs to stay here but Sam's wolf is out for blood, not seeking submission so it isn't easy to hold him for long.

Rolling over each other, everything in our path was destroyed. The dead bodies were being torn apart or kicked around just because they were in the way but thankfully Sam started to whimper a little as I nipped him all over, his tail started to curl underneath him as he showed small signs of submission.

The taste of his blood burned into my tongue but when I loosen my grip a little, he jumped for the attack again, tackling me down and trying to bite into me wherever he could reach once again. He just wouldn't back down, won't snap out of his beastly mindset. I had no choice but to kick him off me again, making him hit the wall harder than I intended. His head slammed into the concrete making a crack sound before he fell to the ground, unmoving.

I turn back into my human form quickly and run over to him. "Sam?" I asked but he also shifted back to his human form. "Sam!" I yelled, rolling him over to see blood run down his face. My breathing tightened. Shifting back like that was never a good sign. "No, no, no. My moon, please! I'm so sorry."

Laying my head on his chest, I could hear his heart beating fast. His breathing was heavy but I picked him up in my arms and held him close. I just knocked him out, that was a given but for a moment I thought I killed him and it scared the hell out of me.

I linked with Brian because I knew he was close and told him to come down. I couldn't move as I held Sam against me as tight as I could without hurting him more, whispering how sorry I was for everything I did, and kissing his head.

Suddenly the sound of someone laughing snapped my attention away from him. Looking into the back of the room the woman lay covered in blood and unable to move anymore next to a broken desk. I honestly forgot all about her in the room. It's a shame she didn't get crushed by us as we were fighting, like almost everything else in the room did.

"Sorry," she coughed, trying to control herself. "I just... couldn't hold it back... anymore. So you were the real mate after all... such a waste of time... with the other one..." her breathing was short as she kept stopping to take long deep breaths.

I could only hope she was suffering like that. For Sam to hurt her in such a way while losing control, she must have desired it.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. She was going to die soon, I could tell by how pale she was getting. "Why would you think he was Sam's mate?"

"By their little... kissing display... before that other alpha... tried to sacrifice himself... I thought you were... the side piece... had it backward... but either way... my plan would have worked beautifully... still," she started to laugh again.

Their kissing display? What was she talking about? Baxter already had a mate so why would he dare kiss mine? She was lying to get under my skin but I didn't care. If they did... it had to be for a reason and I would hear it from Sam before I let it distract me. "What plan?"

Hearing someone approaching behind me, I looked to find Viv holding clothes. She was looking at the woman but lowered herself to Sam, choosing to ignore her. "He's just passed out, my Alpha. You did what you had to do to stop him in such a darkened state but he will be fine," she reassured me with a soft smile and pulled a blanket over him.

Brian came behind her and tried to reach for him but I growled at him pulling Sam's body closer. I don't want anyone else to touch him. They might hurt him more.

"It's okay alpha. I just want to move him so you can get dressed. The others are treating the wounded and the ones we got out of the cages are being transported to the hospital. Vincent sent Baxter to the city hospital as well since it is the closest to his mate. We have successfully taken over the building but we should go before more reinforcements arrive," he told me.

The woman started laughing again but this time it was more uncontrolled as I let Brian take Sam to get myself dressed.

"What is so funny now?" I asked, starting to get angry.

"Too bad... I won't see the fall of your city. It will be... a glorious ending."

"My city will never fall to the hands of you monsters. You think I would-,"

I stopped as she began laughing again. "You will see... soon enough stupid dogs... But I'll die knowing my plans... will play out even better... than I thought... and it's all thanks to you, Alpha."

"Tell me what the fuck you're talking about," I said grabbing the collar of her shirt and pulling her closer.

"You will cause... the fall... of the city..." she smiled and without warning, she stabbed a broken piece of the desk through her neck before I could stop her.

I turned back to Brian as I dropped her body to the ground. "Find what the fuck she was talking about," I ordered him as he handed Sam's sleeping body back over to me and started to search her body once she took her last, choking, breath. "Take all the computers and documents you can find. I want to know what was going on in this place down to when each person took a piss. Burn the rest to the ground, including their dead."

"Yes alpha," he answered.

As soon as Sam was in my arms, I felt at ease once again as Viv and I walked out of the building. I held Sam in my lap in the back seat of a car and watched as both my pack and Vincent's filled up vans full of boxes and computer drives. She had a plan to take down my city but how and why? What did that have to do with Sam and why did she care so much about who his mate was? I needed to know but right now my top priority was the safety of all these other shifters, Sam's recovery, and dealing with the aftermath of this night.

We started to hear them cheer and howl as the building went up in flames. Looking out the window, the orange and yellow flames lit up the whole night sky quickly but my time here was done as I told the driver to go.

.

.

.

Don't forget to like and follow.

Emmett and Sam are finally back together from so long of being apart. I'm so happy but sounds like more is about to come their way. Like who is that little girl, who is Markus, what is going to happen with all those other shifters? Is Sam going to be okay when he wakes up?