Ch70. Sam

Sam's POV

"What do you think about this one?" I asked Lily as I turned the laptop toward her.

We had been looking at different stuff Emmett saved on this website for us. He was right about this helping get to know her better, and in return, Lily was finding herself more too. We had been at it for a few days, but she finally started to nod or shake her head at things I showed her.

She still didn't talk much, but she was opening up more when it was just me and her. When Emmett was here, she closed herself off a little again. Still untrusting of him, but I knew she would come around. Just like Lexi did with Baxter, and that made me hopeful.

She wrinkled her nose and shook her head at the pink bedding set, making me chuckle. "Yeah, I don't like it either," I agreed, looking through the other bedding sets Emmett picked out.

I've noticed she liked the soft green and teal colors more than most. She picked out a few soft purple clothes over the bold and dark purple. I think I started to see the patterns in her color choices. However, I would have to tell Emmett this because I didn't know how to look up stuff on the site. I was still learning that too.

Speaking of Emmett, I heard the elevator from the door move and smiled wide at Emmett coming back. He was earlier than normal, but I was okay with that.

Lily moved to the other side of the bed, leaving her wolf toys where she was playing with them next to me, but I stood from the bed and started for the door to greet my mate home.

When the doors opened the scent hit my nose first, making me pause before Mason stepped into the room.

"Oh, Mason," I smiled, trying not to look or sound disappointed. "This is a surprise. Emmett didn't tell me you were stopping by today."

He looked around the room quickly, which made me remember how Brian did that same thing when Emmett wasn't around us in the woods, and I took a step back.

"I just thought it was time for you to meet my mate. Where is Lily?" He looked over at me, confused.

I relaxed. This was Mason. He wouldn't harm us. Why would I even let the thought cross my mind? I looked behind me to find Lily no longer on the bed, but I knew she was hiding on the other side.

"She's shy around people she doesn't know. But you want me to meet Felix now? Emmett should be done in the office in another hour or two. How about we wait for him too? It would give Lily some time to warm up to you first. I don't want to rush her."

The pained look in his eyes seemed off, but he smiled, trying to cover it up. "Emmett knows where we will be. Come on, Felix is waiting down at the car. He is excited about meeting you both. And I was thinking we could see Steven. Felix has been begging me to go see him too."

He began walking over, but something about his smile seemed off as I looked around the room. "I'm going to call Emmett first." I grabbed my new cell phone from my pocket and was about to call Emmett when he walked over, putting his hand over the phone.

"Emmett is doing something right now. Sam, you can trust me, and right now, we need to leave," he said, keeping his voice low but in a strong tone. "I swear to the goddess, my mate is outside waiting for us, and we are going to go see Steven and Lexi right now."

My stomach twisted. "What's going on? I'm not leaving until you tell me," I told him. Samual began whining in my head, which only made my throat tighten.

"I'll tell you in the car. Please, Sam. Emmett knows I'm here, and he knows where we are going. He will meet us out there later."

I searched his eyes for what felt like an hour before sighing. "Lily. Come on, sweetheart. We are going to go with Mason," I told her as I walked around the bed. She clung to me as I tried to explain to her who Mason was, and what he did for the pack, but it all seemed wrong to me. He was Emmett's beta and was always by his side. So why was he here to get us instead?