Ch48. Emmett

Emmett's POV

"It is said that 700 years ago, shifters and witches were at war for many years. Many were killed on both sides, but the number of killed witches outweighed shifters by the hundreds. Witches were tired of the fighting, tired of the killing. They tried to reason with the shifters, but the beasts wanted none of it.

They were filled with power and greed. All the shifters cared for was more land, more farms, and more cattle, but the witches couldn't give up their lands, couldn't give up their homes, and couldn't sacrifice their cattle. They needed them to survive. But the shifters took what they wanted. They started the wars, but it was the witches who finished it.

Covens from all around came together. They were able to come up with a curse. One that would lock the shifter's beast inside, locking away their inhuman strength and speed, but the goddess Luna needed her children. She made an agreement with the witches who needed her magic for the spell. All she asked was on the night when her eyes were fully open to this world that she could see her children run freely, and so they agreed to her terms.

The curse was ready, but the witches still had a trick up their hats. In order to punish all the shifters involved in the war, the witches twisted their words as they cast the spell, 'where when the animal within takes full form their human side would be no more, locked away from the power and mind they shall remember no more-,'

They no longer controlled when they shifted, no longer felt the strength and power of their beast, or able to satisfy the hunger their beast began to feel. They no longer remembered the wind in their fur or the mud beneath their paws, becoming the untamed, the hungry, the demon beast.

The war ended. Shifters all turned to the shadows, hiding from the world in shame of who they had become.

400 years passed before the witches went back to the shifters, but this time in need, willing to give back what they took so long ago if they came out of the shadows once again and agreed with blood to fight alongside them against the deathly Hunters.

The shifters agreed, tired of the murderous beasts they had become, but this time it was Luna who had become greedy and full of fear that her children would no longer want to shift once they gained control again.

She made sure the need to shift on a full moon was so strong that almost all shifters needed to feel the moonlight in their animal form, but if somehow a shifter could resist and deny the goddess her need to see her children's true form then they would turn back into their cursed form, the feral ones."

I shut the book and ran a hand through my hair with a long sigh. They all said the same thing about how a feral form was created and how to activate it but not one of these books said how to cure the curse if one got it again. At least I know why only a few types of shifters could have the curse and why the non-predator shifters weren't affected. Did the Hunters not know of this? Were they just going to test as many shifters as they could find until they knew? It would make sense why they only had one of the other shifters besides us wolves.

"Maybe we should see Geo, Alpha," Mason suggested as he put down the book he was looking through with hesitation.

"What? Alpha Mont made sure to burn that bridge 50 years ago, Mason. Plus my father didn't help the matter after him. I doubt they will even let us step close to the coven borders knowing that I'm his son."

"Will with all this reading of taking and giving... I'm sure the alpha and ruler of this land could think of something that would, I don't know, pique their interest in hearing what we have to say," he looked over at me with eyes that said what he meant.

I looked at him for a moment thinking of the idea. "That forest is where we do over half of our hunting. Mating ceremonies have been held there for 30 years, and our full moon hunts as well. I can't just give back the forest, Mason. It's too valuable to our pack, which is why Mont took it from the coven, in the first place."

"Sounds more like History just repeating itself," he mumbled as he sat back in his chair and picked up another book. I could tell he wasn't really reading it while he flipped through the pages too fast.

I leaned back, thinking about it. Geo's coven did specialize in curses. It was one thing they were most known for. If this was part of a curse, they could help us, but I couldn't just give them a whole forest.

"You know the forest better than I do," I started, tapping my finger against the desk in thought. "Are the herbal gardens still there?"

My question made him stop flipping through the pages. "They're overgrown and worn now, but they're all still there. We could never get close enough to destroy them. What are you thinking?"

"Maybe we could come up with an agreement," I thought aloud as I stood up and walked over to the bookshelves next to my desk, looking for a few different things.

"What are you looking for, Alpha?" Mason asked as he followed behind me quickly.

"I need to find a map of that area, agreements, and whatever documents we have about the land. Once I get a contract written, I will be going there immediately. Are you coming, or should I take Brian?"

"No, no, I'll go with you, Alpha. Just tell me what you're thinking."

♠♠♠

I stepped out of the car with Mason as we looked down the old abandoned-looking street. It was bare, no one in sight, but I could smell the heavy scent of magic all around us. I hated dealing with witches, but this couldn't wait any longer, and I was out of opinions by this point.

Mason handed over the file I brought as I told the driver and guard to stay with the car. Mason walked behind me to watch my back as we started walking down the old and cracked brick street. The building all looked old and rundown, but the more we passed, the more eyes I could feel on us from the shadows before I stopped in the middle of the road.

A large group of witches walked out between two buildings in front of us. Mason leaned forward and whispered that more were behind us. In front of the group was a younger tall man with dark brown skin and a top hat. He wore only a dark violet-looking vest with black dress pants, but it wasn't the man I was looking for.

"I thought I smelled wet dog," he yelled as he stopped in the middle of the road, half a building from us. The large group stopped behind him immediately. "What do you think you're doing out of your territory, mutt."

His words didn't phase me or insult me in the slightest as I stayed standing tall. "I'm here to speak with Geo."

"What makes you think Geo wants to hear your voice?" He hissed as he stepped forward.

I could tell he was challenging me as I too, stepped forward. "I'm not here to fight warlock, but if you want to challenge me, we can continue this after I speak with your High Priest. Until then, call him out of the shadow he is leaking in. I have an offer for him that he needs to hear before sending me away."

"Ha! You think you can come into our borders after what your pack did to our people?" He asked, walking forward again.

Mason stepped forwards with a loud growl in warning, but I walked past him. "I think you should move out of my way and let the grown-ups talk," I growled as we stopped only inches apart.

A loud laugh from above broke the tension as we looked over. On top of the building was a small group, and right in the middle was the man I needed, Geo Gray, High Priest of the Black Card Coven. "What a surprising turn of events today has brought us," he smiled down at us.

.

.

.

Don't forget to like this chapter. Thank you for reading. You can also read this story on Tapas! Link is in my bio.

Now we know how and why this form was created and how the witches were able to get the shifters to help them in the Dark War. And we have our first witches but will they listen to what Emmett has to say and help them find a cure for those poor shifters who are suffering greatly?