Chapter 29 - Departure

[Picture: Lizzy Elizabeth (Liz) Monroe. Video: Keaton Henson - You]

Someone knocks on my door, I try to do my bow-tie once more, but soon give up.

I turn around, Lia leans by the door, plastering a smile.

"You okay?" 

"I will be after I get this thing right." I pull the tie off my neck and throw it on the bed, she picks it up and puts it on again. "You're invited too." I tell her. I know Liz would want everyone to be there, even the ones she doesn't know that well. 

She pulls both ends of the tie and it's done. I turn to look at my reflection, how the hell did she do that? It's a perfect tie, both ends are equal and it's perfectly centered. 

"I'm just going in this, then...if it's okay." She spins, letting the skirt of her black and gray dress flail around her. I smile, I look like a crazy person standing next to this girl with my navy blue blazer and a sky blue undershirt. "Liz doesn't want any black and white clothes. She wants the colors of the rainbow to be there." I take the picture of her from my mirror. "She said it would make 'a cool send-off'." 

I remember this discussion when we were waiting for our Biology professor. 

"If I die, I want my funeral to be fun colorful. I don't want anyone wearing boring black suits." She pokes me. "Hear that? No boring black suits." 

"Why do i get the feeling that you're hinting at something?" 

She laughs. "Because if I die first, you'll be in charge of my funeral, dumb dumb. You'll be planning it. And nobody better wear black or white, or else I'll whip you ass from the grave."

Lia smiles. "I'll just change then." 

I sit down on the chair by my piano, setting the picture of Liz in front of me. I stare at it, she looks so happy. Like the bundle of joy she is, she's always wearing a smile on her face. The last few days were still bad, but it got better each day. I guess I'm just easing into the fact that Lizzy's not here anymore. That I jsut have to live in a world without her, continue with my life. I'd miss the way her violin sounds, how she'd close her eyes whenever she plays, occasionally smiling. Her emotion would go with how she plays, her eyebrows furrow whenever a strong part of a piece comes up. And they'd lift when it's a gentle part. 

I'm going to have to venture the world alone. 

I just wish I could've talked her out of it. 

If I had done that, she would be alive now.

And we would be doing something else than going to her funeral.

I set my hands on the keys of the piano, they suddenly press into a melody, a song. I close my eyes and let my fingers glide freely as they will. 

I remember the amount of times Liz made me watch Les Miserables with her, which she always mentions is her favorite musical of all-time. She knew every word to every song, every note and every chord. She was addicted to it. The last time we saw the movie together, she sang along to every song while I tried to keep up with the ones I knew the lyrics to, harmonizing with her. 

I remember us jamming together. She had me change the keys of the original songs a lot so that it would be easier for her to play on the violin, removing all the difficult flats and sharps. I play another song without knowing, it sounds vague at first, but then the melody comes to me. 

"How about this?" Lia asks, my fingers stop moving as I look at her.

"That's fine." I answer, she changed into a green dress decorated with glitters and beads. I stand up, I guess it's time to go. I check the time, 2:10PM. the funeral's about to start in twenty minutes, better get going. I check myself one last time on the mirror, making sure everything's in place. I take a deep breath, place the picture of Lizzy in my pocket, and made my way to the car.