Chapter 27 - Missing You

[Picture: Sad Ethan Video: Your Song - Elton John (Ellie Goulding Cover) ] 

The second day at school without Liz was purely hell. 

I walk to school with a burden in my heart, it felt so heavy I thought it would fall out. I even told Taylor that I'd rather be left alone for a while because I didn't really feel like talking. I walk through the school lobby, the corridors and halls. A lot of activities and programs are approaching, flyers are posted on bulletin boards, stuff like Clash of the Bands, which Lizzy would have loved to join. She was always hyped about getting to play some hip-hop violin for a crowd. Another paper invited students for the Regional Mathletics Competition, next to it was an On-The-Spot Poster Making Contest. A few bulletin boards away was the school's Post-Winter Play, hosted by the school's Performing Art's department, and another was the Student Council election. 

I pass by people, giving them a half-hearted smile when they notice me. Alison waved a little and continued walking, not bothering to stop and talk to me. It was something new, to be left alone considering Lizzy and I always stuck with each other like chopsticks. But then again, chopsticks have to be separated for them to live it's purpose. 

I wanted to be alone, since I was afraid that if anyone would talk to me, I'd be so disrespectful and insensitive. I just had to get used to it. 

I grab the books for my first periods, I take a while to just stare at the photo of Liz and I taped to the back of my locker door. I take a deep breath, close it and start making my way to class when someone spins me around, holding me by my hips. 

"You okay?" Taylor asks, I almost immediately recognize the concern in his eyes. His hair was unruly, not fixed like it was used to, a bandana wrapped around his forehead. 

I look down as I nod. 

He grips his hands on my waist. "Hey, you can get through this." He tilts my chin up so I look at him. "If you need me, you can always call me. We'll skip school together and do something relaxing if you want to." 

"I'm fine, Taylor." 

"Okay..." He says, placing a kiss on my cheek. "If anything, call me." 

I plaster a quick smile for him to leave, the bell rings and I walk behind the crowd going to class, I didn't want to feel rushed today. I just wanted to take everything slow. 

_ . _ 

A few people have talked to me, saying how they're sorry for what happened to Liz. Sorry has become such an overrated word, as if it would heal everything, take the pain away, as if it would bring Lizzy back to life. 

I didn't need their sorry. 

As lunch comes by, I sit by our usual table, with the three others. I've distanced myself from them the whole morning, to sit with them at lunch is the least I can do. 

"Hey, big boy." Alison greets with a smile. "You wanna join the Post-Winter Play? Come on, it'll be fun. Even Ethan's going." 

I look at the boy who's stuffing a grilled cheese sandwich inside his mouth. "I didn't even know you could sing." I tell him.

Ethan raises a finger, telling me to wait. After he empties his mouth, he answers. "I do, but I'm not that good at it. As long as I don't do a duet with you, I'll be fine." 

I pout. "Why don't you want to sing with me?"

"Because you're Shawn Mendes, I'll be so out-shined if I sing with you."