Chapter 34 - If Ever

[Picture: Pride Flag Video: Real Love - Clean Bandit Ft. Jess Glynne.]

"If ever you guys do get married, how will your names work?"

I squint my eyes. "What do you mean?"

Ethan bites a piece off his pizza, which was surprisingly served in school today. I don't even want to know why, maybe one it's one of the lunch ladies' birthday. "You know, will you be Shawn Caniff now? Or will Taylor be Taylor Mendes?"

I chuckle. "How do you not know that? Almost every gay guy knows that they'll be sharing names." I tell him. "I'm going to be Shawn Mendes-Caniff. And so will my boyfriend."

"So I'll be Ethan Hawks-Jacobson?"

I nod. "You get to decide who's name goes first, but it's usually the shorter one."

"Yeah, I think I like the sound of Hawks-Jacobson." He swallows a chunk of food down. "By the way, I'm staying over at Michael's place later, it's going to be the first time we sleep together."

"Ooooh, scandalous." I grin. "Do you think you're going to do...it?"

He raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"Do you have plans to you know- boink?"

"What?"

I roll my eyes. "Are you going to have sex?!"

His mouth hangs wide open. "Why are you thinking about that?"

"Oh come on, Ethan." I tell him. "The first night a couple spends together is usually the night they do it. Specially if they've been holding it off for a really long time."

Alison yanks my shoulder backwards, I almost choke on my food and I furrow my eyebrows at why she did that. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Eating lunch?" I answer.

"Did you not hear what happened to your boyfriend?"

I shake my head.

She rolls her eyes. "He broke his arm, he's in the nurse's office. Get your ass there."

"Again?" I ask, I get up, not even bothering to bring my bag, but I do bring my slice of pizza.

I walk through the silent corridors, I miss the times Taylor and I would stay at school after class, we'd be here up until seven in the evening when our parents would worry where we were. I find myself smiling at the time we were still both in the closet, and how we'd never miss any opportunity to spend time with each other in secret. Hell, the first time we ever held hands was during one of our school's soccer games, he sat beside me and slipped his hand into mine. It was covered between both our thighs and hoped that no one wondered why we were only using our other arms.

I open the door and find the nurse on the phone, she says a few final words before putting it down. I smile at her, and she smiles at me. "We'll have to bring him to the hospital so they can take care of it. Are you family?"

I shake my head. "I'm his boyfriend."

"Well..." Her smile grows wider. "I can issue a pass for you too, so that you'll be able to tag along and keep an eye on him."

"Wow." I utter. "Thank you!"

She winks. "No problem."

She exits the room saying she just has to use the bathroom. I immediately purse my lips as I sit down across Taylor, placing my hand on his cheek. "What happened this time?"

He smiles exhaustingly. "I fell down during basketball practice."

I can't manage to stare at his broken arm for more than five seconds, even though it's been wrapped up in bandages, you can still see how it's abnormally curved. It makes me cringe. Taylor leans forward and wraps his good arm around me, then utters a slight chuckle.