Chapter 3 - The Birthday

He clasped my hand with his free one, his other hand on the steering wheel. Without taking his eyes off the road, he kisses my hand. I look at him, smiling and flushing red at the same time. He brings the car to a stop as he approaches a red light. He catches a glimpse of me, our eyes meeting for a split second before he brings his lips to my hand again. 

We pull over to our destination, I reach out for the handle but he speaks.

"Wait." 

He gets out, walks around the car and opens my door for me. I smile, get out and pull him in, nearing my lips to his.

"I love you." He whispers. 

I smile. "I love you too." 

I miss him. 

I flutter my eyes open.

I do miss him.

I miss him a lot. 

I look over to my wall-clock. 10:27 A M. 

I have two hours to prepare.

And it's finally his birthday party. 

This pain is eating me up. 

The tremendous amount of guilt and pain and anger, the hopelessness you feel when you don't think he'll take you back. Because the person who makes you feel happy, comfortable, loved, and protected, is not yours anymore.

I honestly think it's over. 

He's over me, he doesn't like me anymore, he doesn't love me anymore. I bet he has someone else now, and he'll be bringing that someone to the party later. 

I get up and stretch all the anxiety out, walk into the shower, and drown my thoughts.

_ . _ 

"I'm so fucking nervous." I say, awkwardly tapping my guitar. 

Liz and I sat on a bench in the Caniff's backyard. I brought Liz with me so that I have someone to be comfortable with. The MagCon family is putting so much pressure on me, rushing me to just walk up to him and make out with his face in front of them. But it's not like that, it's never been that way. No matter how much of a sex-maniac Taylor can be, that horny boy is not in a relationship with me just for my body. He loves me-wait, he loved me. He genuinely liked me for who I was, and I know that sounds cliche, but it was true. And I fell in love with him not just because of his amazing body and features, but because of his nature. Despite how mean he can be, how ignorant and how childish he is, he finds his way to charm me, he makes me smile, and he makes me happy. 

It pains to realize that if he's happy, I'm also happy.

Even if his happiness lies in his new partner. 

"Stop it. You've performed in front of bigger crowds. Taylor is just one person. You can do it." She replies. 

"I wish you brought your violin. We could've played a duet."

She rolls her eyes. "Then it wouldn't be that romantic because I'm an awkward third wheel." 

"Whatever." 

"He's here!" I hear over the thick wall of leaves separating Liz and I from the rest. 

She looked at me, wiggling her eyebrows, something she does when she feels mischievous. 

"Go on, lover boy." 

But I can't. 

I stand up and peek through one of the numerous holes through the bushes, I see him. I see him hugging Cameron, then Mahogany, then Gilinsky. He continues greeting the other guests, and the rest of the MagCon family. They drag him to his seat, on the rear end of a long table. As soon as he sits down, he scans the crowd, as if he's looking for something. Someone.