Chapter 31 - A Big Day

[Picture: Ethan's suit. Video: A Night To Remember - HSM3]
I apologize for the little throwback on the song but I love it until now. 

Can you believe it?

Prom is tomorrow, one of the biggest nights of a teenager's life. I kind of get why everyone makes a big fuss about it. I mean, you get to hang out with the people you love for one, luxurious night. just anyone inside the school since they won't let you bring outsiders to the event. 

Prom, one night of endless chatter, romantic dances and a lot of cheesy couples. Hopefully, Taylor and I aren't one. It's going to be my first, and probably last. I don't know if Juilliard hosts such events. Taylor and I booked a hotel nearby so we can go to the after-party and not worry about getting home.

Taylor and I decided to shop for tuxedos separately. We wanted to surprise each other, which is why I'm going with Ethan. 

"Who are you bringing to prom?" I ask him. "You know, since you can't bring Michael." 

He shakes his head. "I'm not bringing anyone. I'm there for you guys." 

"What?"

"I want to spend my prom with you guys, and a date will only get in the way." 

I look at him, puzzled. "Ethan, I have a date. Alison is going with Jason. We're all going to be busy." 

He shrugs. "I'll find a way to enjoy it." He places a teal long-sleeved shirt beside a red tuxedo. "Good match?"

"If you want to look like the flag of Columbia, then yes." I pat him on the shoulder. "Never wear opposing colors, unless you can pull them off." 

"I can pull it off!" 

"Please," I huff. "Just try another color combination." 

_ . _ 

"I think it would be cool if we get to visit New York together." Taylor says, playing with my hair. 

I smile, resting my head on his stomach. "Yeah? What made you want to go all of a sudden?" 

"It would be romantic, you know? Just you and me, we'd explore the city, try new places, new food. We can shop for clothes." I chuckle, if anything, Taylor hates shopping. That's why most of his clothes are from his parents or from me. "And we'd get to see Big Ben." 

"Big Ben is in London, Taylor." 

"...right."

I push myself up with my elbow, pulling myself beside him. "I'm really excited for tomorrow." 

He faces me and his nose touches mine. "Me too." Taylor gives me a little peck. "And after that, it wil be just you and me, alone in a hotel room." 

"Yeah?" I smile. "And what are we going to do in that hotel room?" 

He locks my shoulders down. He's ready to pounce on me. "You know, things.

And our lips crash together. We kiss, lips locked to each other, tongues dancing. His hands roam my body as mine roam his. 

"Uh huh." I scold him, pushing him away. "Let's save it for tomorrow." 

"But..."

"Taylor." 

"But we haven't done it for a really long time!" He pouts. 

I pinch his cheek. "Which is what makes tomorrow romantic." I wink and get up. I grab my coat from his side table. "See you tomorrow, babe." 

He tucks his shirt over his pants, hiding his tent which seems to be under construction. What a shame. And I'll admit I would have had sex with Taylor tonight if tomorrow weren't prom. But I want him to know that he can't just take me anytime he wants, he has to work for it and he has to wait. 

"Dress nice for me, okay, baby?" He smirks.

I roll my eyes and close the door behind me. I greet the Caniffs on my way out, they offer me to stay for dinner but I tell them I have to get home. 

_ . _ 

I'm curled up into a ball, a warm blanked around me, watching TV with a bowl of popcorn. This is how I relax and get ready for tomorrow's big night. 

Lia emerges from the kitchen, plopping down beside me. "Shawn, I have a question." 

"What is it?" I try to speak without spilling the food from my mouth. 

"Uhm. How do you have sex?" She asks, my head immediately snaps to her direction. What. "I mean, because it's between to guys. How does that exactly happen? None of you have 'lady-parts'." 

"We stick it in a hole, Lia." 

"What?" 

"Taylor sticks his magic wand in my magical cave." 

She pauses for a minute, but then her eyes grow wide. "And is that magical cave what I'm thinking?!" 

I nod. "Probably." 

She jumps from her seat. "Oh my god!" She yells, covering her mouth. "Isn't that...dirty?!" 

I shove a handful of popcorn in my mouth. "Not if you get ready before doing it." 

The doorbell rings. 

I get up, placing the bowl on the coffee table. Lia walks back to her room, still probably in shock from what I told her. Was I being a good brother? I mean, she asked me a question and I just answered it. How do you sugarcoat explaining sex? Especially sex between to guys? I get why she's curious, she's at that age. But she better get my permission before doing it with anyone. 

I don't even think I'm going to let her do the deed before she's eighteen. 

Funny how I get all protective of her when I let Taylor totally dominate me for the first time about a year ago.

I open the door and find Mrs. Monroe standing. She smiles and I can see she has makeup on. 

"Good evening, Mrs. Monroe." I greet, being the gentleman I am. 

"I just came by to give this to you." She hands me a violin case.

 Lizzy's violin. 

She breathes. "I think it would be best if you keep it. That would make Lizzy happy." 

I hold it by it's handle, I didn't know how light a violin can be. It's like carrying an empty suitcase. "Thank you." I say.

She nods. "Well, goodnight to you, Shawn." 

"And to you too, Mrs. Monroe." I smile back. 

I bring the violin up to my bed, carefully open it and find a violin looking very different from what Lizzy usually uses. It's white with gold linings along the edges, Lizzy usually uses her dark brown, wooden violin. But then I remember when she used this one. 

It was our first performance together. We were asked to perform in a hotel's diner to fill the room with some music for three hours. We practiced and learned a lot of songs just in case the crowd requests some songs for us to sing. We spend hours and hours figuring out how to incorporate our own Shawn-Lizzy twists on these numerous songs, but we got through it. After three days and nights of constant practice and annoying the hell out of our neighbors because we still practice at around three in the morning, we finally relax the day before we perform. 

It's a show violin, with a bit of decrease on it's musical quality but it looks fucking awesome. I remember how she was so happy getting to perform in front of people, putting her talent out there. 

I get up, and after a few minutes of rummaging through my stuff, I hang Lizzy's violin on my wall. Then for the final touch, I pin her little name tag she gave me years ago above the violin. 

I make myself comfortable on my bed, looking at the violin one last time, the falling asleep.