Chapter 37 - He Knows Me

[Picture: Shawn Mendes. Video: There's Too Much Love - Belle And Sebastian ]

My parents load the trunk of their car with food, water and other supplies. I look at mom, who's still being superwoman even with a baby in her belly. I wonder if it'll be a boy or a girl, I'm just sad that I won't get to see him as he comes to the world, I'll probably be in college by then. 

"You two can go ahead, Shawn." Dad says. "Lia is still in the shower, you have to be there early to check in." 

I sling my bag over my shoulder. "You sure you guys are fine?" 

He nods. I walk over to Taylor who's leaning against his car, on his phone. He looks up. "Sorry, it's the agency." I place my bag on the back seat. "What's up?" 

"They want me to model some man-purses." 

I giggle. "That's so cute." I open the passenger door as Taylor walks around the car, getting in the driver's seat. "You forgot your guitar." He tells me, and I jolt back in the house to grab it. 

It's finally happening, I'm finally auditioning for Juilliard. I told Taylor that I was fine with driving there with my family, but he insisted we spend as much time as possible before we separate. Because it's going to have to happen at some point. 

Taylor can't stay long here, he's going to be moving to LA where the agency's headquarters are, it's also where most people do business. While I, on the other hand, would have to fly to New York if I get accepted. My second choice would be Rochester, on the same state but my third would be UCLA. It provides a good music program and I wouldn't be that far from Taylor too. 

I applied to Juilliard with the help of some friends in my Literature class, since I can't really rely on Alison, Jason nor Ethan. Speaking frankly, I don't think they do well with applications and essays. I earned the opportunity to send the school a recording of me singing, I chose to sing Summertime Sadness for them. I was told to chose a song which I'm comfortable with, something I've sang professionally before and not just one day sang in the shower. It needs to be something I've given my own twist to and something I've adapted to the notes. And luckily, weeks after that, the letter was dropped by my door, being greeted by the lines "It is our great pleasure...". 

I honestly didn't think I'd earn myself an audition, since Juilliard mainly focuses on musicians who solely play instruments, dancers or actors too. They don't have a lot of singers in the school, I'm guessing because singers are overly mainstream now,  but I guess I am still straying away from the majority. They say that I have something special whenever I sing, like I have a golden voice box or something, how I sing or how I have an emotional connection to the song, instrument, and audience. They want me to learn from the best.  

The audition venue is a ten-hour drive from home, we'll be staying in a hotel for three days. The audition is tomorrow, giving me time to drink lots of water, practice, and rest. 

"I'll drive for the other half." I say, scrolling through my phone, finding a song to play through the car's bluetooth speakers. 

"No." He answers. "I slept thirteen hours so that I'd drive you." 

"Taylor, that doesn't mean that you'll be able to drive for ten hours straight." I chuckle. "Sleep isn't like money, you can't save it all up and spend it." 

"I have my good old friend here." He raises his cup of coffee. "Come on, Shawn. Let me do this for you." 

I tap on Belle And Sebastian, then There's Too Much Love. It starts playing, and I'm immediately bobbing my head to the beat. 

"I don't want you to do all the work." I pout. "I at least want to help." 

He smiles. "Fine." He grabs his phone from the stand and gives it to me. "Keep me updated on the map and tell me if I have to make any turns."