Chapter 38 - Love Is Equal

[Picture: Shawn Mendes Video: Like I'm Gonna Lose You - Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend]

"What if I'm the worst one there?" I ask. "I mean, someone has to be. What if that's me?" 

We're back home, lying down on my bed, the summer heat has all of a sudden taken it's toll on me, I get really cranky when it's too hot. I definitely prefer winter over this. Taylor and I were both shirtless, stripped down to our boxers, the house's A/C is already turned on and it's still unbearably hot. I rest my head on his bare stomach as he twirls strands of hair around on my head. 

"Are you kidding? You've debuted number-one on the Billboard charts, Shawn. If anyone should be intimidated, it should be all the other people in the school. Because my boyfriend, Shawn Peter Raul Mendes, will be the best one in The Juilliard School." He says, pinching my cheek. 

"You have to stop worrying, take your mind off of the whole Juilliard acceptance thing." He adds. "Let's have a boyfriend day." 

"They haven't sent a letter for a three weeks." I refuse to change the subject. "It's almost been a month. Maybe I didn't get in and they didn't bother writing me a letter." 

"Oh, come on." He groans. "It's a big school, Shawn. Thousands of people apply and try to get in but they only accept what, seven percent? They have to sort out who's worthy of the name and who's not." 

I smile. "You sure are talking a lot of sense today. Usually you just head-butt a problem to the sidelines but it seems now that you're facing it head on." 

"Well, I just don't want it to bother you anymore." His hand wanders from my chest going to my navel. "How about we have sex?" 

I hop off the bed. Sorry, but Taylor isn't getting any of this unless the room is at a comfortable temperature. I've had sweaty sex before, and I didn't like it. "I'm going to take a shower." 

"Again? But baby, you already smell great." 

"It's not the smell." I say, grabbing my towel. "It's the fucking heat." 

_ . _ 

Taylor and I decide to watch a movie in the living room. We weren't all cuddled up, we were the complete opposite, and were literally on opposite sides of the couch. It's damn too hot to cuddle. Taylor has attempted to pretend to kiss but sneak in a grip that will lock me in an eternal cuddle-choke-hold, because once he's wrapped his arms around my torso firmly, he can carry me as he pleases, like a teddy bear. (Which is ironic since I'm taller.) 

It's moments like these that you know a relationship is real and it isn't all about sex or the chase. A real relationship is when you can be normal people, you don't always agree on the same things, and you won't always want the same things. There have been occasions when Taylor and I even go hang out with our separate friends, I would typically watch a movie with mine and Taylor would probably play a game of basketball with his. I don't ask my boyfriend to hang out with my friends because I know they're not the type of people he's used to. He's used to having the manly essence of testosterone around him when he's with his friends. Hell, our group of friends consists of two gay boys and a heterosexual couple, (and one sexually-infused heterosexual girl if you include Lizzy). A real relationships is where you can appreciate some alone-time, and where just because your significant other wants to spend the night alone doesn't automatically mean that he's breaking up with you, though it's a possible reason. 

"If I turn the A/C colder, can we cuddle?" Taylor asks. 

"Mom would kill me if it got colder." I reply, not taking my eyes off of the screen.