Chapter 26 - Battle Cry

[Picture: Lizzy and Ethan. Video: Battle Cry - Angel Haze ft. Sia]

The words rang in my head, they echoed endlessly as if it were an endless hall.

Lizzy's dead.

It kept repeating and repeating, again and again. It will never cease to tell me those two words over and over. 

I leaned forward, elbows on my knees. "Pardon?" 

She sniffles, wiping a tear with the back of her hand. "She's dead, Shawn. She's gone."

"How? Why?" 

"She hung herself." Another sniff. "There was a piece of paper on the floor, written on it were the words I'm sorry. I don't know why, I have no clue why she would decide to end her life. I thought you would, Shawn. You're her best friend, I was going to call you some time soon." 

"I'm sorry." I repeated quietly, I take in a deep breath to take everything in.

Lizzy's dead. That's it. She's gone. My best friend, the girl I was going to go to Juilliard with. She was supposed to be performing with me, join me on big stages in front of huge crowds. She was going to get married and raise her own family. Hell, she was Jack's girlfriend. She was happy with him, and I know because she has seldom complained about him. Lizzy, oh Lizzy. She was there for me, she was my rock, my anchor, someone I can trust, someone I can lean on. 

I can't believe it, just like that, she's gone. One minute she's alive, the next she's wrapping something around her neck, and the next she's dead. 

Suicide, up until this point I never understood it. 

I wish she called me first, I wish she talked to me about whatever was bothering her. I wish I could've heard her voice one last time before she left. I could have comforted her, listened to her problems and tried to come up with a solution. I could have saved her, stopped her from taking her own life. She could have lived, she could be alive today, right now. She could be sitting right next to me, watching a movie, laughing at all the right times. I could have watched her as her lips curved to a smile, how she'd fully close her eyes when she laughs. 

I could have done something.

But here I am, helpless, despaired, depressed. 

It's a burden, a horrible feeling when you know your best friend has died. You can't do anything to get them back, you can't apologize or say anything to convince them to return. When they're dead, they're dead. That's it. It's pretty simple but why is it such a hard thing to accept? A best friend is possibly the best kind of person you can ever have. But now, I've lost her. I don't have anyone anymore. She chose this, she wanted to do this, but why? 

Why? 

Why, Lizzy? Why? 

Why give up everything we worked for? 

Why shatter all the dreams we had together? 

Why leave me without notice?

Why leave all of us? 

She had me, Ethan, Alison and Jason. She had a lot of friends in school, her little Literary club, our Advanced Composition Class. A lot of people liked her, a lot of people looked up to her, a lot of people were inspired by her. 

She was a good person. 

It's tragic. 

It's such a waste of a young heart. 

Tears start to gather in my eyes. I assume Ethan's on the verge of crying too. 

"I'm sorry." I apologize, running a hand through my hair. "Can I...Can I take a look at her room?"