Chapter 24 - The New Year

[Picture:Happy New Year! Video:One Of Those Nights - Shawn Mendes]

“You didn’t have to come.” I blush.

He grips my hand tighter. “I wanted to.” He brings it to his lips and places a gentle kiss, my eyes quickly scan the room if anyone was watching. Some of them noticed what just happened, but none seemed to mind. “I wanted to be the first one to see you without your braces.”

I chuckle.

I was getting my braces removed today, and Taylor insisted he'd come to the clinic with me.

I’ve noticed something with Taylor lately, it’s bugging me why he’s decided to do it, but I don’t dare ask, not yet. It’s something good, though, it’s a positive thing.

Recently, it seems that he doesn’t have a problem with PDA anymore, he doesn’t mind holding my hand while we walk outside or stealing quick kisses from me. He doesn’t have a problem with it unless it’s school, he still refuses to acknowledge me as his boyfriend in school. I still don’t mind, I understand he’s still in the closet and I have no intention to force him out.

“Mendes, Shawn.” Someone calls out.

I turn my head to the man in white, he nods over to the area where stuff get done.

“Gotta go.” I tell Taylor.

“Alright, but wait. Can you smile for me? One last time with those braces.”

I roll my eyes and do as he asks.

“Okay.” He approves then he cups my face with his hands and smacks his lips against mine. I was taken by surprise, a pair of girls giggle on the other side of the room. I stick my tongue out at my boyfriend and proceed to getting these metal stuff off of my teeth.

_ . _

“You look so hot without your braces.” Taylor says, not taking is eyes off me. He’s been staring at me for the past few minutes. “You look more mature, it’s incredible.”

“I felt the same way when you got yours off.”

He chuckles and rubs his nose against mine.

I left myself fall back to the soft bed. It’s the 31st, and we’re all just waiting for New Year’s Eve. We head down from my room to the living room, Taylor plops himself on the couch while I get some chips from the kitchen. He turns the TV on and sounds from it fills the whole room.

“It is reported that two teens have committed suicide within this week.”

I grab a chip, sitting down. “I don’t get the thing with suicide. Aren’t you supposed to face your problems instead of running away from them?”

“Sometimes, it all gets too much.” He answers. “It’s too much for one person to handle. It comes to a point where they think death isn’t that bad after all. They think of it as a way to obtain peace, they see death as an option, and not a consequence.”

I hand him the bowl of chips. He glares at me, and I immediately know what he’s thinking about. “They’re vegetarian.” I tell him, and he grabs one.

“You’re such a girl.” I remark.

He faces me, jaw dropped. “How am I a girl?”

“I won’t eat anything unless it’s vegan or vegetarian.” I mock him. “How many calories is that? I don’t eat anything above 2% trans fat.”

“I have never said those words in my entire life.”

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to go to Juilliard?”