Chapter 30 - Post-Winter Play

[Picture: Shawn Live. Video: Pop Goes Broadway - Superfruit]

My hands are cold and my hearts beats faster every minute that passes by. We're moments away from starting the show. I sit on my chair, staring into my own reflection on the mirror. 

"Is the foundation too much?" Ethan asks. I shared my dressing room with Ethan, and while I have minimal make-up on, he went a little overboard with it, to the point where he had to wash everything off and do it again.

I turn around and looked at him, his face was better now compared to what happened a while ago where he resembled a burnt chicken nugget. 

"It's fine." I answer, rubbing my hands together. 

He walks closer, arranging the stray pieces of my hair. "Hey, don't be so nervous. You've performed in front of bigger crowds." 

His breath smells like mint due to the tic tacs he ate. His eyes focused on my hair. "I don't know what's making me so nervous." 

He takes a step back and flashes a thumbs up. "You're going to be fine." 

I check myself on the mirror, squinting as I adjust to the blinding lights once more. I don't know how girls do it, sit in front of these mirrors and have someone put stuff on their face. 

Louise, our stage manager opens the door. "Open curtain in ten minutes, boys." 

I politely nod at her as she trods away. Ethan and I lock eyes, he throws his arm around me to pull me in for a firm hug. "Show time." 

_ . _

Earlier that day... 

I lean against the cold wall, earphones in, eyes closed, let myself sink in the music. I probably look crazy right now, but it doesn't matter. No one's here to look at me, except for Taylor and his teammates.

It's their last training session before the big game tonight. And as it turns out, Taylor's Basketball Cup is on the same night as the school play. We can't make it to each other's events so we decide it's alright for us to miss the other. His game starts a little before the play which means there's no point if I try and watch him for a couple of minutes. 

I listen to the songs I'll be singing tonight, familiarizing every beat, every chord and note. I've been told I concentrate on the music so hard that I scrunch my eyebrows to the point the veins on my forehead pop out. 

I open my eyes when I feel something slap my arm. 

"You okay there?" Taylor asks, running the towel along his muscled arms. "You seemed pretty serious."

"Get used to it." I stood up, taking his extra shirt out for him. He takes his tank top off and slips on the new one. "Ready?" 

He nods and we head home. 

Taylor has been training like crazy the past few weeks, and so have I. We jumped in the schedule of practicing every day. It hurt, having to sing multiple hours every day but soon your voice gets used to it. The play is fairly long, about twenty minutes. It consists of Christmas songs. Frozen's Let it Go made it into the track listing, and I know, it's pretty overplayed. But the director wanted impact to both young and old audiences we'll be having. Why not give the kids a little treat? 

We spend the rest of the day cuddled up on the couch, watching something on TV. I guess being in love is a great thing, y'know, you get to have someone to hold you, touch you, kiss you, and hell you have someone to have sex with. I guess it's wonderful. It's beautiful in a way that has it's consequences. Love has responsibilities you have to take, once you're in a committed relationship, you can't just fling yourself around to other people. You have to understand that your heart belongs to someone now, your search for a partner is temporarily over, and if you get lucky, it's over for the rest of your life.