Chapter 2 - The Memories

[Picture: Lizzy Elizabeth (Liz) Monroe]

"Do you still want to be with him?" The voice on the other end of the line said,

"Of course." I replied, loudly since my phone's on loud speaker while I clean my room. "I mean, I love him. But I don't really know if I want to be in a relationship with him anymore." 

"Oh shut up. You know you love every piece of Taylor. He's just, you know, douchebag-y but charming at the same time." 

I bite my lip. "I know. He can be cute sometimes." 

"See?" 

I toss a shirt to the pile of laundry I have in the middle of my room. "I honestly don't know what to get him, Liz. We haven't talked for a fucking lifetime. Sometimes I forget what he looks like and I need to look his name up on the internet." 

Liz is my best friend, we met two years ago at school. We were brought together by music, as we were in the same class: Advanced Composition. I was in love with the way she played the violin, how she made such a small, squeaky instrument sound so delicate and soft. She made it seem so easy, like it was something she could do while sleeping. She can make the violin sound sad, she can make it sound happy, jolly, she can make it sound angry, furious, and she can make it sound easy, like a breeze in the wind. We clicked when I went up and talked to her, and I won't lie but I was attracted at her at first, and she knows that. But as time went by, and as we became closer and closer each day, I started seeing her differently than a "future-girlfriend". I figured it would be awkward and uncomfortable if I asked her out on a date, either if she said yes or no. So I kept my distance and let us remain best friends. 

We jam to different songs and try to make our own arrangements. We've tried coming up with originals and currently have two songs decent enough to play in public. Composing a song for a singer is so much different than composing a song for a violin. Because as a singer, you have the advantage of words to express how you feel, you have words to convey your message to your listeners, to your audience. But as for the violin, it doesn't have that kind of advantage. When you compose a song for a solo instrument, you have to be careful with the notes and different progressions, on the dynamics, the forte's and piano's. The soft and the loud. I could come up with a simple set of chord progressions and she would find her melody, then letting it resonate within her instrument. Sometimes it turns out bad, sometimes good. We kinda had plans on being a two-man band in the future. 

"Shut the hell up, Shawn." She groaned. "You're being dramatic again. You can't forget how Taylor looks like, that's exaggeration. And just get him something sweet, something cute. It doesn't have to be grand. You're not winning him back by gifts, are you?" 

"Of course not." I raise my eyebrow. "I can show up with nothing and he'll still love me. But he's mad at me now. And I at least need something to cheer him up." 

"Write him a song then." 

"It's not that easy." I said, sniffing a pair of underwear and throwing it to the pile of laundry. "Life Of The Party took me almost two months." 

"Well, it was your first single." 

"It is my first single. I haven't composed anything yet." 

"Want me to come over? I'll help you work out a melody, then the chord progressions are all up to you. I can somewhat help with the lyrics too." 

I chuckled. "Somewhat help with the lyrics? Liz, you are in Advanced Literary class. Might as well write me a Sonnet." 

"I'm surprised you know what a Sonnet is." She laughed. "I'm used to writing deep and blurry lyrics. Lyrics in which you really need to sink in and read between the lines to really get what it means. "