LEO'S LETTER

Dear Akiro,

It's me Leo... but I guess you'd already know that... Anyways, it's been a long time since I last heard from you... The last news I had from you was from what I overheard Wendy say. She said you managed to get the job offer so... congratulations on that one...

Honestly, I was a bit surprised to receive your letter. I supposed you would text or call but I understand why you would prefer to write it down. I get that it must have been difficult for you to open up. Your family's appearances and everything you've had to go through... I understand, you don't have to tell me more if you don't want to...

You know... In your first days studying abroad, whenever I tried to talk to you, you barely acknowledged me.You were always too busy, your nose stuck in one of those massive textbooks you always carried with you. So, that day you sat down with us to eat lunch, I was genuinely surprised to see you.

You see... I know what it feels like to be alone... During my teens, I distanced myself from Evelyn and my mother. Those years, I wanted nothing to do with them... I was conflicted and lost and felt angry and alone... I never knew my father, my step-father never really loved me and my mother and I never really got to understand one another. It wasn't until I began to get close to Evelyn once again that I finally began to feel happy. So yeah... if you were wondering, that's the reason why I asked you so many questions about your family back in your dorm. I wanted to help you like my sister had helped me but in doing so, I might have overstepped your boundaries so I'm sorry about that...

When we finally began to get along, you were cold and distant, always looking grumpy and displeased but when we talked about architecture, you seemed genuinely happy. I guess that's also one of the reasons why I never took your rude remarks to heart. In a way, I understood it was your way to cope. I supposed you hadn't had many friends growing up so I liked to think that you just needed a little bit more time to warm up and, I'm glad I stuck around. As the months went by, you really came out of that shell of yours. You laughed at my bad jokes, took part in my shaneanigans and even stood up for me.

On the last day we saw each other... Well, I'm going to be honest... even if I didn't show it, I was actually mad at you, furious even. All that time, I had convinced myself that you were opening up, that you were healing from whatever had happened with your father. When you chose him over our friendship... it hurt. I really believed I had gotten to know the real Akiro. So, when you told me you had been pretending all along, I was hurt and angry and, at that moment, I wanted nothing to do with you. It wasn't until a week later, when I was walking around campus late at night that I realized it was wrong of me to be mad at you. It was your future, it was your decision. I'm not talking about becoming a doctor, but about your relationship with your father. If following his footsteps would help you mend your relationship with your father and make you genuinely happy, then I had no right to judge. I didn't know the full story and I could have misinterpreted the signs I thought I saw... So yeah... I'm sorry for having tried to stand on your way...

In your last month here, I wanted to talk to you but I knew I had to give you space. I wasn't sure where I stood anymore and didn't want to mess up. I had really hoped you would reach out but... you never did... Whenever I saw you around campus, your nose was stuck in a book and it reminded me of your first month here. I guess that's when I finally understood you had made your decision and I had no other choice but to respect it.

But now... as I read your letter and I get to see the bigger picture, I curse myself for not taking the initiative and not reaching out. I guess that, in a way, I was scared that if I confronted you, we would end up arguing once again... I think that's why it has taken me so long to finally realize that you weren't happy with what you decided.

You know? You might not believe me when I say this... but the first time we met, I thought you were pretty funny. Since you were wondering, it was your snark and dry humour that made me want to befriend you. But even though it might have been your sarcasm that peaked my interest, it was the loyalty you showed me that made me never give up on you. You'll probably roll your eyes at what I'm about to say since it's pretty cheesy, but when you said you got lost in the process... I think you were just trying to find yourself... I get that after being under your father's control for so long, it must have been difficult to choose for yourself for once so you felt lost and had the impression you didn't know yourself. If you ask me, I think the real Akiro is the one who, despite his emotional detachment and sarcasm, cares deeply about his friends and stands up for what's right.

Anyways, sorry for being so sentimental but I thought you'd like to hear it. On a lighter note, I'm glad to read your relationship with your sister is improving, I know it must have taken her a lot of courage to reach out and it must have been difficult for you to open up. I already told you this, but I don't know what I would do without Evelyn. That's why I hope you manage to mend your relationship with your sister.

Sorry for rambling and all that but you already know I talk a lot. And don't worry, I didn't burn nor threw away your letter in the trash can...

Akiro, I forgive you,

Leo

P.S.: Sorry for taking so long to reply but I barely check my mailbox (yes I know it's very irresponsible of me, you don't have to say it). Honestly, if it hadn't been for Evelyn I wouldn't have realized so... my bad. But don't worry, I'll be doing it more often in case you write again.

P.P.S.: I'm proud that you're choosing for yourself and are enrolling back in university. We'll have to see who's the best architect once we graduate XD.

A/N: Yay!! Akiro finally gets his long awaited answer!! I honestly felt the need to include this letter since I think it would help you guys understand Akiro a little bit more, especially in the upcoming chapters :)

Honestly, as I was writing this, I couldn't help but think that, if we were following the stereotypical high school roles, Evelyn would be the popular/horse girl, Leo would be a jock/geek and Akiro a nerd/quiet kid in class... Idk they just give me those types of vibes lol