|12| Not Everything Is What It Seems

(Karma's POV)

"So, tell me the plan once again?" Nakamura frowned her brow.

"We're going to give (Y/N) a surprise party," Sugino grinned.

"And how are we going to do that?" I placed my hands behind my neck.

"And where are we going to hold the party?" Nagisa added.

"Okay, so you all know how much (Y/N) likes to ice skate, right?" Sugino looked at each one of us.

"Of course we do. How could I ever forget her excitement when we went there?" Kayano smiled.

"So, I'm thinking of throwing her the party there," Sugino began explaining the plan. "I think there's a special offer for birthday parties that we can look up."

"And how are we supposed to lure her in genius?" Nakamura skeptically crossed her arms over her chest.

"We tell her we're meeting up there," Sugino said. "It's not that difficult."

"Not very original but okay," I shrugged my shoulders.

"First things first," Sugino placed his hand on his chin, "we have to see the different prices for renting the skates and if there are any perks of coming in as a large group."

"So, who's going to go?" Nakamura asked.

"I can go," I said nonchalantly surprising everyone. "It's no big deal, I wasn't planning on doing anything today."

__________________________

I opened the doors to the ice rink and looked for the information point. As soon as I entered, I immediately noticed the cold reaching my skin. I didn't mind. I liked it. Ever since the rainy season ended, summer was coming closer and it was beginning to notice.

I walked around the facility and my eyes were drawn to a figure skater gliding across the ice. Her movements were swift and graceful as she performed complicated tricks. I wasn't gonna lie. It was a breathtaking and dangerous sight to see, all at the same time. One false step and she would end up in the hospital. The person had her eyes closed, her hair tied up in a ponytail flowing freely. Just by watching her, a sensation of freedom and happiness overtook me, startling me. Her crystal clear laugh filled my ears as I couldn't help but watch awestruck.

It was then that I realized who that person was. It was (Y/N). I had never seen her so peaceful and free. It suddenly hit me. Now I understood why I hadn't recognized her at first. Her expression was the same as the one she wore that time I caught her singing in the mountains. That excitement and love for what she was doing was what was making her look so different yet at the same time so familiar.

I would be lying if I said it wasn't a beautiful sight to see.

'What am I even saying?!' I shook my head. 'Since when do I care about these things?' That same question that I asked myself a few weeks ago popped back into my head.

I teared my gaze from her figure and looked down at the floor furrowing my brow, my fists clenched tightly. What was happening to me? I used to believe crushes were dumb, sometimes even a waste of time. I was always right, wasn't I?

'Forget it,' I shook my head and tucked my hands inside my pocket as I turned around and walked away.

As I was nearing the door, her laugh suddenly reverberated inside my head. It came so abruptly and without warning that it made me stop right in my tracks. I could even imagine her smile.

I slowly turned around. She hadn't noticed me. She was too busy concentrating on the ice. I kept watching her. It was nice seeing her so free. She had warmed up to the class, but she was still holding back...And, honestly, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy her presence. It was fun teasing her and it was even more entertaining when she teased me back.