|39| Change

A/N: I am so so sorry for taking so so long to update!!!! I wanted to publish this chapter a week ago but I was so busy I didn't have time to proofread it 😭

But anyways, don't worry guys, I'm back and, for the moment, I don't plan on taking a break this long 🎉

(Your POV)

You ate dinner in silence, thinking about all the things that had been going on in your life. But, what occupied most of your thoughts was Kaori.

After your breakdown back at his house, you had no news of him though it wasn't surprising. You hadn't tried to contact him and... of course, neither had he.

You sighed and munched slowly on your food. Were you even friends? Did he hate you now that he knew the truth about your mother? At the end of the day, after his confession, the only thing that was tying you two was your mother. So, now that he knew who she had become, that tie was no longer there...

"(Y/N)!" Your mother's voice took you off from your trance.

You were quick to tear your view from your plate and focus all your attention on her.

Today's dinner had gone by quite smoothly. Neither of your parents had argued and it wasn't because they had remained silent. In fact, they had been talking about work and other topics you weren't really interested in but what was most important was the fact that they had done it without arguing.

Which was why you weren't looking forward to making your mother mad. You didn't want to ruin the tranquility.

"Yes mother?" You smiled weakly, a bit tired of today's events.

"I was asking you (Y/N), if you've finally received your grades," she repeated.

You remained silent for a few seconds, not really sure what answer to give her. It wasn't because it was a bad grade but more because you were afraid that the news would ignite an argument between your parents. You had already seen it happen more than once. Everytime you or Akiro accomplished anything, either your mother or your father were quick to rub it on the other's face which would consequently end up in an argument.

"Uh... yes," you finally replied.

It wasn't like you could lie to her. She would find out sooner or later so it was best to just tell her and get your parent's argument over with.

"And how did it go?" She asked.

"I... I got third place overall," you said, your voice barely a whisper.

"What?!" She shrieked, her eyes going wide open, her chopsticks slipping from her fingers as she abruptly turned her head to face you. "You did?!"

"Ye-Yeah," you stammered, a bit taken aback by her reaction.

"That's amazing honey," she smiled sweetly as she lovingly cupped your face and caressed your cheek.

Your whole body was petrified as you stared into those warm and loving (E/C) eyes from your childhood, millions of memories rushing through your head. All those mornings she had kissed your cheek, all those evenings you had spent at the ice rink, all those nights she had read to you until you fell asleep.

All of a sudden, a warm feeling invaded you. It wasn't like the one you experienced whenever you were with Karma, this one was different. It was a nostalgic and bittersweet one that was resurfacing memories from the deepest parts of your childhood.

Your mother was... genuinely proud of you.

"That is indeed quite impressive," your father's voice pulled you back from that spell as you took your eyes away from your mother's and looked down at your food.