Chapter 34: The unimaginable coming to reality

Astrid Kestrel had fallen right under Stephen Homer's trap and turned into his puppet. Whatever data he required, she would get for him. With time, he discovered that along with Alexandra Allura, Zane Adriel and his friends were a threat to him too. Through some hidden sources, it came to him acknowledgement of Zane, Lucus and Sierra being Angels.

Same as Demons, Stephen couldn't trust Angels. In his eyes, both species were hypocritical, arrogant. His belief was what drove him forward to end both of the species once and for all. It was now, time for the reign of humans.

To achieve his goals, he didn't hesitate to play dirty.

"Astrid, how loyal you are. Is it the same to your friends?" Stephen suddenly asked, standing by the fireplace while Astrid read quietly.

"Of course. My friends mean the world to me." She replied, tiny curves forming at the corners of her lips.

Astrid's love for her friends was beyond immeasurable; she couldn't imagine leaving them. They came into her life when she was at her lowest, bringing along the incandescence. Every moment they spent together was priceless.

"Say, if they get ever into a life and death situation, what would you do?"

"I'd be ready to do anything to save them."

"Even sacrifice your life?"

"Even sacrifice my life."

Stephen chuckled at Astrid's reply, impressed by her devotion and confidence. He requested she leaves for the time being, spend time with them. Who knew, when that might come to a stop.

"I admire your confidence. Don't turn back on your words when the time comes."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll understand with time, my dear."

Astrid narrowed her eyes at Stephen, who did nothing but smile. He was indeed planning something. Aside his joviality, Stephen never spoke of himself  or his feelings.

"What about you? Do you have any family?" Astrid courageously inquired, to which Stephen reacted with an icy glare.

"My wife and children died long ago." Stephen's smile faded to solemnity as he explained.

"I shouldn't have asked, I'm sorry-"

"It's quite alright. My
daughter looked similar to you-golden hair, emerald eyes, a radiant smile. That's why you're special, Astrid."

"My condolences, no-one deserves such cruelty."

Stephen looked at Astrid and smiled warmly. He nodded and asked Astrid to take her leave for the time being. She had helped enough to dig out information necessary to Stephen.

After she left, Stephen's woeful expression switched to a shrewd one. He stared out of the window, grinning, proud of his acting skills whatsoever.

"Well then, the emotional venerability is accomplished. Now begins the real fun."

"What are you doing, fool? Chatting won't help with our plan." A deep male voice hissed from behind.

"You should knock before entering, Ralph Anderson."

Indeed, Stephen was allied with the Angel Ralph. Whatever incident Stephen was linked to, so was Ralph.

"So? Have you come up with anything that gets up closer to the Demons hiding in London? Time's running out, you see."

"I will, soon enough. And about the HAVOCs are doing their work too. When people start doubting the extinction of Demons, you Angels will have to take action. Once we are to find one Demon at hand, the battle will begin on its own."