Chapter 23: What one deserves

Ralph Landers rummaged through the Adriel household's office, as if he were in search of something. His restlessness indicated whatever his intentions were, they held motives.

"Not this...not it...nothing useful to me..." Ralph mumbled to himself, grabbing and tossing books spontaneously.

Earlier, a certain someone informed him about Zane and Alexandra's collaboration, their visit to the Conors. Although Zane never mentioned anything, he was in search of the book True Evil.

He searched every shelf, drawer, storage area, but no trace of the book caught his eyes. Looking back incessantly then resuming again, the chain went on.

That was when, he was caught red handed.

"Ralph! Are you here?" A soft, boyish voice cried from the doorstep.

Ralph flinched, reflexively putting everything in place in hope of Zane's sight not getting to his attention. Zane stepped inside, giving Ralph enough time to clear the traces of his search.

"Nothing significant, Lord Zane. Tell me, what is it?"

"Actually, I'd like you to do something for me."

"Your wish is my command, lord."

Zane, impressed with Ralph, smiled with admiration. Sometimes, he couldn't believe he was fortunate enough to have someone as loyal and devoted as Ralph.

"Could you keep and eye on the victims' families of the case I am helping to solve? Keep your distance, and report to me if you detect anything suspicious."

"If I may ask why, lord? They are normal civillians, right? And if in not wrong, miss Astrid Kestrel is one of the victim's daughter.

"The families could still be in danger. Now that our knowledge of the enemy is scant, just observe the victims' families for now. And Astrid is Lucus and my responsibility. We'll protect her."

Ralph looked down and chuckled. Lord Adriel, to him, was too emotional and sensitive. His nature of putting others before himself and trusting people so much was going to cost him one day.

"I'll follow your orders, Lord Zane Adriel."

Zane patted Ralph on his shoulder appreciatively, leaving him once again alone to join Sierra. He trusted Ralph blindly, having to know him for years. Even if he hadn't known him that long, he still would've relied on him-because all Angels are trustable.

 Even if he hadn't known him that long, he still would've relied on him-because all Angels are trustable

That afternoon, friends were to reunite after a while. Zane and Sierra picked up Lucus Orion on their way to Astrid's. For the past few days, neither of them could meet officially and enjoy like before. It was about time they meet once in a while.

The Kestrel family's housekeeper stood outside the entrance, informing them to go straight to the backyard where Astrid waited for them. Underneath the scarlet sun, a white and red cloth was laid on the grass with baskets full of tasty treats and beverages.