Chapter 14: Surrounded by fools

Astrid spent hours of loneliness and isolation in her father's room, going through their albums of beautiful memories of her childhood. Before losing her father, those photo albums didn't really hold much value as it did now. With every page Astrid flipped, a smile formed on her face. However, behind that masked smile, there was dejection and melancholy. In midst of this, she anxiously glanced left and right, repeatedly as a single sound passes by, checking for signs of danger that will not come. But she wasn't to blame; her life could've been at stake.

Astrid felt the urge to go outside for some fresh air. It was only natural for anyone would feel suffocated if they stayed within four walls for over a week.

Astrid quietly sneaked out of her house in the evening. She strode across the street, which was gracefully illuminated by the moonlight.

Vivid imageries of Jonas Kestrel's death flashed before Astrid's eyes as she walked, making her quiver with terror

Astrid broke away from her thoughts when someone came in her way out of nowhere, almost knocking her down.

"I apologize, I didn't see where I was going." Astrid bowed apologetically.

The male in front of her was perfectly blond. His hair brought Astrid memories of golden wheat fields, of those many hued stems that danced in the autumn light, whispering gentle songs into the wind. A friendly smile stuck to his face, his eyes warm and welcoming.

"It's quite alright, Astrid Kestrel." His eyes crinkled sweetly.

Astrid flinched immediately as soon as she heard her name. She was definitely sure she had never seen that man before.

"H-how do you know my name?" Astrid furrowed her eyebrows.

The Englishman chuckled softly.

"I know about you for a long time! Also, you happen to be the one I was looking for."

"What is it that you want from me?" Astrid backed away a little.

He bent down slightly to match with Astrid's height, hands clasped behind him. The smile never left his face.

"I can help you find the killer who slaughtered your dear father." He whispered to her, eyes fixated to hers.

"W-What do you mean?"

"I'm sure you want to avenge your father, eh? Turns out, I can help you with that, as I want the same."

"I-I'll have to think about it. We've never met and-"

"Oh take all the time you need. I'll come to meet you soon again. But remember, you have to do this, for you father." The man grinned widely.

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

Zane picked up his phone reluctantly after noticing Alexandra's name displayed on the screen. The ice queen calling him by herself was the last thing he was expecting, and looking forward to.