Chapter 25: A monster can never be good

Whilst the number of murders increased in London, so did the duties of the reapers. Each city was assigned 2 reapers, making Delilah and Blake's job difficult furthermore. Even if they wanted to do something about the murders, reapers had to stay neutral and reserved. Engaging in anything other than collecting souls had its risks. The two reapers assigned to collect souls in London, watched intently as Blake noted down the details of prosecutor Higgins on his notebook.

"The amount of dead souls is rising. As tiring as this job is, I'm expecting better wages." Blake complained in a dramatic tone as he stretched his arms out of exhaustion.

"I hate working overtime, I don't get enough sleep anymore. Like c'mon, we reapers have insecurities too!" Delilah added, sitting on the tower comfortably beside Blake.

"Right back at ya', girl. I even had to break up with that hot model."

"That guy? Forget him, Blake. He wasn't that charming anyway."

"Indeed, I should go for someone sexy, like Noah!"

"I'm against that, he's mine to be."

"B**ch please, you're so fake even Barbie must be jealous of you."

"My my, did you think I was a mirror?"

Blake and Delilah's feud saw no end. As much as they liked to insult each other, the more they cared for each other too. Sometimes, such emotions are hard to express. Their attention diverted to something else eventually, stopping the insults for a while.

"Hey Blake, is that Alexandra? With the pretty boy we met before?"

"Why're they in a crime scene? Let's go ask her in person."

With a graceful leap down the tower, the reaper duo appeared in front of Alexandra who was silently scanning the details and photographs she collected in solitary from the crowd. With the most enthusiasm possible, they leaned in to embrace the earl who reflexively dodged it.

"Do that one more time, I'll make sure you two regret it."

One icy glare was enough to discipline the problematic Blake and Delilah. They squeezed their lips shut, letting Alexandra take charge.

"What brings you here? Is it for the prosecutor."

"Correct! Blake and I were on duty and saw you coincidentally. A tragedy, really."

"So you're with the Yard on this? That's quite unlike you."

"The Yard and I are not on good terms, as you know. I am working separately "

"With Zane Adriel? How adorable." Blake smirked, trying to tease Alexandra.

"I expect you to understand I keep my duty professional only."

Blake and Delilah nodded in agreement, knowing this woman could never get involved in any kind of relationship. Emotional attachments, to this Demon, were gratuitous.

"So a prosecutor, huh? Any idea as to who might be involved?" Blake awkwardly cried, trying to cut the tension.

"Yes. A cult, supposedly."

"Is that so? How're you gonna get them?" Delilah inquired in astonishment.

"I shall start with one member I find. Now please, depart before you are seen."