Chapter 22: A secret left to unveil

Beginning an investigation with scant leads wasn't easy for Alexandra and the person in partnership, Zane Adriel. Aside their absolutely-none-cooperative state, the murder cases had nothing in common...yet. What's worse, neither of the two could decide where or how to start. Half of their time was wasted on gratuitous quarrelling and debate. Finally, the decided to investigate from where it all started: With Robert Conor.

They drove their respective vehicles to the Conor household in hope of obtaining some information significant for them. It had been months since Alexandra had last encountered that family, yet didn't look forward to it. Their tragic story seemed to much of a disturbance to Alexandra. Robert may have died young, but death is a part of life. People should forget and move on after one's demise; tears are just a waste of time and energy. However, it seemed the Conor family had been yet to move on.

"So this is it...come on." Zane exhaled awkwardly, signalling Alexandra to follow.

The door was answered by Lisa Conor, the sweetest little thing. Her face lit up as she saw the earl, and jumped with excitement.

"Hello miss Alexandra! Lovely seeing you!" Lisa beamed, hugging Alexandra's waist tightly with her small arms.

"T-that's pleasing, but do let me go, child..." She calmly requested, startled and bewildered.

"Don't be so lame, earl. Kids don't like tedious people. Watch and learn." Zane scolded Alexandra as they separated.

He knelt down to match the child's height, giving her an approachable smile. Indeed he was a natural with people-everyone loved the sweet Zane Adriel.

"Hi kiddo! May I ask if your mommy is here?"

Before Lisa could reply, Freya Conor appeared at the doorstep unexpectedly. The lady's beauty remained perfectly intact, except she had no desire to maintain it. Losing her beloved killed a part of her-sorrow she hid behind her motherly smile.

"Well hello, Earl Allura-and who is this gentleman with you?" She smiled softly.

"Greetings, madam! I'm Zane Adriel, and she's my sidekick. If we may, we'd like to speak to you about a couple of things."

"Haha, sidekick? How amusing. Do come in." Freya chuckled, shoving the door wide open.

"I am not his underling..." Alexandra mumbled to herself, offended nevertheless.

The atmosphere felt much improved than the last time Alexandra visited the Conors. Fortunately, they were beginning to move on. It was a wonder to her how quickly humans move one with their lives-whilst even after years, she couldn't.

"Psst, Alexandra, are you gonna talk or should I?" Zane whispered to her as they seated politely.

"I'd like to skip the speaking part." Alexandra politely said, whilst she felt soft tugs on her coat incessantly.

The two children of the house couldn't stop bugging the earl, while Zane Adriel spoke to Freya while taking notes.

"I used to closely know Robert. He was a great man- honest and caring." Zane gave a comforting smile as he stared at his notepad.

"Yes, he was. And we all loved him dearly." The widow smiled back, picturing her husband in her head.

"Mind me, but I never saw him as the religious type... could you explain?"

"He wasn't at all religious. He only believed in science and reality."

"If you please, try to recall. Did you notice anything strange about him before he..."