Chapter 16: Socialising can be exhausting

The Adriel household's maid, Luna, guided her respective master and his acquaintance to the living room. The room was rather brightly lit with the modern and confusing paintings hanging across the walls. Thick vanilla curtains hid the long glass windows at the centre, leaving just a shy peak of the city beyond. The Adriel's butler rushed out to open the curtains, bringing the familiar sound of the metal rails above, whilst the view appeared as fast as any modern locomotive.

"Please take a seat, madam." The sweet maiden offered with a cheerful beam.

Alexander's cold, robotic voice thanked the maid, politely but emotionlessly. While Zane explained the issue to his butler, she attended Alexandra's wounds. She first attempted to clean the cut on her cheek, but that took another turn.

"I can do that myself, if you do not mind." Alexandra declined, moving away from her.

"I'm afraid not, miss. I am merely following my orders, and I cannot allow our guest to do it when I am here."

Alexandra chose to restrain her objection, and allowed her to continue. Zane collapsed on a couch just beside them, flabbergasted and bamboozled with everything going on. A heavy silence settled over them, thicker then the uneasy tension present. Zane's unsettled eyes glanced unceremoniously around and tried to avoid catching Alexandra's petrifying gaze-until Alexandra broke the silence.

"Mr Adriel, I'd like an explanation for what occured previously."

"I'm not so sure myself. They called themselves HAVOCs, but I've never heard of anything as such. What about you?"

"No data about them has come to my attention, I believe. I do remember them speaking of your family, why is that exactly?"

Zane went blanch, reminded of his family's tragic death. His heart ached with remorse, knowing he was unable to save them.

"I don't know how they know my family...they died when I was a kid."

"I see, that is unfortunate." Alexandra remained poker faced, unable to portray any sorrow.

"Yeah, I suppose. It's been so long I don't really miss them..." Zane's lips cracked into a woeful smile.

The pin drop silence returned once again, this time twice as uncomfortable. Now the head housemaid, she was quite the talkative one- and that was not helping.

"Um miss , if you don't mind me asking, how did you meet master Zane?" She queried reluctantly.

Alexandra let out a vexed sigh, exhausted to explain it all. Instead she glanced over at Zane, signalling him to take over. Feeling threatened to an extent, he told her everything.

"I see, so you are the lady who rescued master? I am forever indebted to your kindness."

"It was nothing, really; just my duty." Alexandra humbly shook her head.

Sudden Zane decided to join the conversation, unnerved by the serious aura Alexandra radiated.

"I still can't accept how you literally eradicated that thing with so much ease. You seem so weak and vulnerable, but do mind me."

Alexandra stared at Zane, almost looking right through his soul. They were like two pools of blood, cold and perturbing.

"Please do not judge me by my appearance, Mr Adriel. It is revolting and offensive. I may not seem physically strong, but I have intelligence and knowledge. That's all I need."

"Alright I'm sorry, there's no need to get so serious."

"Pardon me, but you yourself are a coward. Do try not to be so full of yourself."