Chapter 24: It's okay to cry sometimes

Death was near. He could feel it deep within as he ran for his life. The city was asleep, the streets left empty for stray animals to wander past. A living nightmare, it seemed to him as some cyborg-like structures followed him. He lost his voice when one of them stabbed his eye, weakening him physically and mentally. He ran where his legs took him without a halt, hoping they'd leave him alone at some point. They never did. They latched onto him like bloodsucking leeches.

His clothes were stained with velvet liquid, his ginger hair sloppy and dirty. None of that mattered now-it was his life that did. At exactly 2AM, when he was returning home, they stalked him possibly to kill. Adrenaline rushed inside his body and he panicked for his life. He never did any wrong, so why him?

He ran, and ran, and ran, until they were out of sight. Fortunate enough, he had already met the dead end. He exhaled, full of relief, and peeked out into the empty streets. He suddenly felt a threatening presence approaching him. In a slow pace, the victim turned around to receive the biggest fright in his life.

They never left.

Before he could move a muscle they caught up to him and one of them grabbed his neck with its metallic arm. He could feel his life drain away with every breath as pieces of sharp metal dug deeper into his throat. At one point, he was released just when he was losing consciousness. He collapsed on the ground coughing blood.

"Go on, beg for the Angels to save you. Beg." They chanted, eyes glowing similarly to demons.

"Why...why...who are you? Why're you monsters after me?"

"We are what humans call the HAVOCs. The Demons of the new era. Now tell us, do you believe in Angels, Demons...God?"

"No, of course not. You're cyborgs. There is no God. Angels and Demons no longer exist."

"You indeed are a loyal servant of science and human superiority."

"What?!"

One of the HAVOCs held the man's head roughly, and a loud 'snap' was heard as he twisted it sideways

One of the HAVOCs held the man's head roughly, and a loud 'snap' was heard as he twisted it sideways. The struggling stopped. The HAVOCs glanced at each other malevolently with a victorious grin.

One more valuable asset to human revolution was eliminated.

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══