Chapter 12: A tragic past too painful to remember

Zane's pessimistic instincts came kicking in as the brutal screams terrified the civilians close by. He could sense danger coming up, and had to do something about it. Lucus tried to calm the people around him down so the commotion would decrease; Zane did the same as he planned what to do next.

"Hey Lucus, leave this to me, will you? Take Astrid with you and get outta here." Zane urged, getting worried.

"But what about you? What if something goes wrong?!" Lucus protested sternly.

"What happened, guys? Why aren't you coming with us, Zane?" Astrid intervened, her face pale and exhausted.

"Go without me. I'll go check what that was about." Zane replied.

"Always the ally of justice, aren't you Zane?" Astrid gave Zane a soft smile.

"You bet!" Zane grinned as he flipped his hair proudly.

As Lucus and Astrid walked farther from Zane, Lucus turned around and moved his lips, telling Zane to be careful. Zane nodded with a cheerful smile and a thumbs up. Lucus and Astrid blended with the crowd promptly, while Zane rushed away from them in a hurry. Zane dashed towards the street, where the scream presumably came from, with a pistol he always carried along with him.

It wasn't long until the scream rang to Zane's ears once again. But this time, it was much terrifying. Zane approched the spot, taking each and every step with caution. The street was disorderly and disarranged, suggesting that a fight had taken place just recently. Several drops of blood was clearly visible, and a sharp smell of camphor tickling Zane's nose. Right then, his eyes set on a young woman, possibly in her early 20s, sitting on the ground with her legs pressed close to her chest. Zane sauntered to her helped her stand up as she struggled to go so.

"Miss, is everything alright? I heard someone screaming, did anything happen?" Zane questioned her impatiently.

"I-It was some kind of monster! A Demon!" The woman croaked as she shivered uncontrollably.

A Demon? Impossible.

Zane tried his absolute best to reassure the panicking woman that she was safe, now that he was there. However, she seemed severely traumatized by whatever happened to her previously. It had to be someone horrifying.
Suddenly, Zane noticed a dark shadowy figure moving at the corner of his eyes, and he froze. Immediate chills crept up his spine as his eyes met a pair of glowing red orbs.

"Miss, run away right now. Do not look back and call for help." Zane blanched, his eyes not leaving the pair a second.

The woman didn't hesitate to do so and ran for her life to the opposite direction. She didn't dare to look back even once. Luckily, the enemy didn't try to chase her or such. Maybe, it had its eyes on Zane now.

Zane giggled at those glowing scarlet orbs intensely, his heart pounding vigorously

Zane giggled at those glowing scarlet orbs intensely, his heart pounding vigorously. Zane was suddenly reminded of the day he encountered with something quite familiar to the situation he was in. It wasn't too long till Zane ended up lost in his thoughts.